Is it Down or Up, the Garden Path?

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
bid said:
Stop resisting. ;) The fun is in the trying and what you learn from it.

And I agree with thistlebloom; you don't need a lot of fancy equipment.
I think it's best to try new things and figure out your own way of doing. I've had certain successes and certain failures. I'm pretty sure, for instance, that my magnolia tree will be beautiful next year bc I've buried several fruit trees in a garden bed (in a pot) before and successfully transplanted them in the Spring, and this tree is looking very healthy right now, in December. I love to bring in my geraniums and watch them flower by my windows all winter and then prune and replant them in May.
I've also studied up and I WON'T be pruning it until after it's flowered. :rolleyes:
Even though I've started tomatoes from seed, I've had years where I got busy and they pretty much all DIED.
I've tried growing beets, but 2013 was the FIRST YEAR that I got so many that I HAD to can, and it was over 20 quarts. I can repeat this next year bc my beds are about the same size and I rotate my crops.
I've tried growing sugar snap peas but the harvests have been small. My 2013 potatoes got dry. I pulled up two plants and got about 5 small potatoes. So....I left them in the ground to grow for 2014.
I gave up on growing asparagus, but the companion plants, sunflowers, reseeded themselves and were HUGE this summer.
I harvest my okra as often as I can and I cut it up and freeze right away. Any old and tough stalks go RIGHT into my burn barrel. Any not so nice tomatoes, sweet peppers and carrot and beet tops get fed to the chickens and the horses. People without livestock could compost these.
ALL compostable animal bedding takes one and one-half YEARS to break down unless you turn your compost piles, and then it only takes one year. Pine shavings take five years to break down. Until then it makes GREAT mulch.
NOTHING is easy unless it fits into your lifestyle and you can repeat the steps over and over again.
I do NOT care what anybody says, NOBODY can grow a garden where your crops look like a gardening magazine. Get that notion OUT of your head and you will be MUCH happier! :D

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
What if you used some unconventional lights from a conventional source? Like CFL bulbs in a cheap bathroom fixture? Clustered together screw in your bulbs & let errr rip tater chip! It's compact & would do the job. I've also seen some led set ups but I don't have ant experience with them & growing terrestrial plants. Or what about some shirt under the cabinet fixtures that hold a regular fluorescent bulb? Put a couple of those together so your going wider instead of longer & go with it.

So long as you can adjust the height (that's the easy part) you should be good to go. Tinker with some ideas & see what works for you. A little trial, a little error you'll figure out what works floor you.

Latest posts