Is it Down or Up, the Garden Path?

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Possibly you need stronger light, and more air flow, to keep the seedlings from being leggy. Also maybe less heat once the seedlings emerge. But tomatoes, even the ones that sprout outside, have a lot of space between the ground and that first little set of leaves. Tomatoes, though, can be planted really deep in the garden, so no problem if they are leggy, as long as they are strong.
Mary, I am one of those who won't try to talk you into growing from seed, if you don't really have any need to. If you have access to a wide variety of types, and don't have to buy a dozen when you only want two, then I say put your time and energy into something else. You have a much more elegant and artistic garden/yard than most of us. It takes a lot of your time to do that! You go, girl!

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Awww solucky, you're so sweet. The farmer's market over here have tons of different heirloom tomatoes and organic veggies that I can purchase. So for the few veggies that I grow I can certainly find something new and different if I so choose. But tend to stick to the same variety of kale, swiss chard, and lettuces.

Mary

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Gee, I was only kidding.... Mary I know where you live, and your space limitations, and your desire for everything beautiful.
I was just trying to get a rise out of you. Sorry.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
ninnymary said:
Is it worth it to get all the stuff that I need for seed starting if:

I only need a few plants and all of these I can find readily. I don't need any unusual varieties.

I do have space for seed starting in a warm bathroom with a big counter. I would probably only have about 3-4 six-packs. Everything else I want can be direct sowed.

Mary
I'm not Steve, but I agree with him. Everyone 'NEEDS' something that is unusual and not available locally. Actually, that's a great reason to be a member here. Every year we each get a few more seeds than we need. Sharing seeds with others who need just a few seeds of different varieties is part and parcel of this group.

bid

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Mary, you KNOW you want to start some plants from seed. Stop resisting. ;) The fun is in the trying and what you learn from it.

And I agree with thistlebloom; you don't need a lot of fancy equipment.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
There's Bid!

Up or Down the Garden Path and there is Bid!

:D You all can thank me later . . .

Steve

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
digitS' said:
Either way has the same meaning.

Steve
They have the same meaning, perhaps, but some of the time have different connotations. Up or down may depend upon the nothing more than garden topography, but "down the garden path" is often used to imply being led and having an unfavorable outcome.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
OMG bid! It's so good to hear from you. I've wondered what had happened to you. Whenever Olivia has a birthday, I've thought of your nephew. I still remember your kindness in sending me those seeds.

I know I don't need fancy equipment but I don't want it to look too tacky since they will be in the bathroom guests use. As if I have that many! :lol: I guess part of it is mentioning it to my family. They already roll their eyes on how expensive my gardening hobby is in relation to the return. My husband says I can buy organic at the farmers market for a lot less. :lol:

Thistle, shame on you for even thinking you offended me. In fact when I read the Mary, Mary, I started cracking up! :lol: You could never offend me my friend.

Mary

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
ninnymary said:
Awww solucky, you're so sweet. The farmer's market over here have tons of different heirloom tomatoes and organic veggies that I can purchase. So for the few veggies that I grow I can certainly find something new and different if I so choose. But tend to stick to the same variety of kale, swiss chard, and lettuces.

Mary
Mary a good New Year resolution would be to try one new veggie just for fun.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Nyboy, I think I'll try that. I'll be going to the Baker seed store in a couple months. Now I just have to think what veggie to try. :/

Mary

Latest posts