Is it necessary to make trellises for sunflowers?

tomatokate

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I have 4 seedlings, and they are getting bent because they are growing taller. I know they aren't under-watered, or crowded, because I give them a small amount of water every day, and each seedling has its own pot. Should I make them trellises, and how?

bid

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I usually plant sunflowers I want to try and save seed from on a fence line. They will bend, get blown over and look somewhat odd at times and I sometimes tie the stalk to the fence loosely. It's not necessary, but it will make them look prettier sometimes.

Sunflowers develop a deep root system very rapidly and can outgrow a small pot pretty quickly, so check the bottom of the pot to see if roots are growing out.

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Are these indoors? If so I am suspecting they lack sufficient light. Especially if they are on a windowsill?

No, you do not normally have to support sunflower seedlings. (Some people do support the 6-12-footers in the garden, unless sheltered against a building or hedge or tall fence, otherwise they tend to blow over in a poorly-timed windstorm just as the blooms were opening and you were getting all excited about them)

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

Latest posts