Is it really that hard to say thank you?

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
You summed it up well @Beekissed . It's time that you have spent, and goodwill in offering help or info.

I didn't post the question with the hit and run posters in mind. Bee's right about that, many people cast a wide net when they have a problem they need solved quickly, and probably don't remember where all they posted the questions.
Mostly I had regulars in mind. And no, I don't need thanks. I just think it's a nice touch to show some kind of appreciation. Even my dog can do that.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Manners cost nothing to use, saying thank you is the polite thing to do.
In the business world polite gets you EVERYWHERE. The common "Sincerely yours" is now, "Thanks" or "Thx" usually followed by an exclamation point. We use them in emails and texts. Without the thx customers and those who hire DO think you rude.
If you choose not to thank people who spend their valuable time helping you, you are telling them that you do not Value Their time and that you expect somebody else to provide a free service. Yes, there are people on the WWW who garner advice for the pleasure of showing off. I get Great advice here! I have become a hobby gardener and I read about it all of the time. There are lots of things that people here know, even those that don't know a lot, that they have shared with me and that has helped me.
For example, I like my tiller, but I had never considered that I was breaking up the earth AND tilling up unwanted weed seeds buried for decades BUT still viable, had it not been for a post here at TEG. Doesn't mean I don't till anymore, just that I know what to expect, instead of "Why is my garden full of weeds?"
Most people here do thank others here for their advice and comments, which I why I keep coming back to read and post.

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I agree with Thistle...it's just common courtesy to give feedback on help one has asked for and gotten answers for. I have a feeling it's just people who have asked MANY people for help and don't even remember who they asked, so likely forgot to return to that site to give feedback.

Think about it...a person has asked complete strangers to take time out of their day to help them. Now, sometimes the answers are not right there at one's fingertips, so often one does research and posts links for this person in need. They took time~one of the most valuable commodities one has in this life~and given it freely to a stranger without any expectations of reward for doing so. When you give someone your time, you are taking it from someone or something else you normally give it to in this life, so it's no small thing to give time away.

So, when that person casually tosses your help to the side, as if it didn't cost you anything to give it, you have to wonder how they can be so careless? There's been times when I have written a whole page of useful information for an OP, information that I've spent a lifetime to learn about a particular subject of which I have first hand experience, only to never know if the person tried it, if it worked for them, did it even help them? Was my time wasted and were my pearls of hard won knowledge tossed in front of a swine? It's that never knowing what came of the bread you tossed onto the waters that makes one reluctant to spend that much time helping again.

I don't require thanks....but a little courtesy feedback goes a long way towards letting one know if what they've done to help actually helped. If it didn't, why take the time to offer it again?
Plus, when people that may get diverted here when asking a question in Google, will know if the solution was found.
I can put up with a lot of things this world throws at me but bad manners and lack of gratitude really bugs me

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hahaha! Well, that will remain anonymous. 🤣
There seems to be a general drift toward self absorption. And it's just been on my mind lately. "From the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks".

I don't see a difference between thanking someone I know, and someone I don't. I think behavior should be the same wherever you are, whether it's behind a computer wall or out in the open in person. That's just my opinion.

I agree. Thank you and I'm sorry are two phrases that have lost their flavor in this world and are just going out of style. I'm just old fashioned enough to think they still have power and the more you use them, the more good they do.