Is it to late to plant more lettuce??onion??

dipence71

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Is it to late to replant?
Lettuce?
Onions?
I am in west central Illinois

Rosalind

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
For onions, you can plant sets now and overwinter them with a really THICK layer of some sort of mulch (straw, leaves, etc.) but only maybe 1/2 will survive the snow.

For lettuce, you can get a second crop in, no problem. I would plant, hmm, maybe 1st week of August so they'll be sorta cool through September. They can stand a few frosts, usually.

davaroo

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
dipence71 said:
Is it to late to replant?
Lettuce?
Onions?
I am in west central Illinois
In Illinois Id say you are fast approaching the last minute - but ther is still a little time left for the early maturing varieties.
Add a cold frame or tunnel and you might get an extra few weeks on top.

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I don't know from onions, I cannot for the life of me get 'em to grow right so I've long since given up :p

Lettuce though, you can start up to 2 months before you expect to lose them to cold (whether that's your first hard frost, or later, depends on whether you will plant them in the open, or in a sheltered spot, or give them a cold frame or other protection). So by no means is it too late for lettuce. In fact, unless you have a cool shaded spot to start them in, you might want to wait a few weeks -- seeds started in real hot weather, especially if they are not kept absolutely perfectly watered the entire time, are apt to do poorly or bolt soon or taste bad or all 3.

I like to start my summer-to-fall lettuce in cheap plastic windowbox containers that I can put on the cool mostly-shaded E side of the house and then move to sunnier places when the weather is not too awful hot (moving back into coolth if the weather surprises me). (e.t.a. - in fact, I really oughta get some sown today, as most of my spring-to-summer windowbox lettuce has bolted and ready to make room for something more useful)

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

davaroo

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
ANd when I say onions Im referring to green onions, or scallions as many peopl call them. Regular globe onions planted in late fall will be ready for harvest in spring -next year.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I'm planning on onion bulbs, but not until September... I'm WAY south of you though. So, I'm useless with this question. I don't do fall crops until the last weeks of August either.

FarmerDenise

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Lettuce is a short season crop. If you have a month or so of growing time left you can risk loose leaf lettuce.
Onions: depends on where you live. In Northern California we plant ours in November and harvest in July.
When I lived in New York, we planted onions in early spring or planted them in the fall before the last frost to over winter. The fall planted onions tended to get bigger. We had a very short growing season, where I grew up in upstate New York.