Is it to late to plant potatoes?

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I have never bought potato 'seeds'. I just cut up any from my grocery trips that sprout in the pantry. I usually do the generic white potatoes or russet. I stay away from the pre bagged most the time and I try to buy the organic because they haven't innoculated those. Never had trouble getting a sprout.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm planting mine today too. Bought them with the intent to plant around St. Patrick's day, but with all the rain, that never happened. I kept them in brown paper bags in a cool, dark place and they started making nice eyes, just clusters, not too big or strung out. So I think they'll be fine.

I'm putting in red pontiacs and kennebecs. Need 110 days to maturity, but you can get new potatoes around 80 days. I'm not sure how the plants will do with the hottest part of summer, but I'll just try to keep them well watered. I imagine this later crop will actually be better for storage though!

SweetMissDaisy

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
vfem said:
I have never bought potato 'seeds'. I just cut up any from my grocery trips that sprout in the pantry. I usually do the generic white potatoes or russet. I stay away from the pre bagged most the time and I try to buy the organic because they haven't innoculated those. Never had trouble getting a sprout.
Cripes... finding an organic potato in the local stores is impossible....
Sounds like I'll be making a drive to the "CITY" when the time comes! :)
Good to know those work for you.

Latest posts