Is it too late to plant corn?

blurose

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I live in the PNW--Oregon actually. I was wondering if it is too late to plant corn. My dad, central CA, used to plant corn every 5-6 weeks up until August so he'd get a staggered crop. I just want one little crop of corn. I've got a packet of corn seeds that says harvest in 70 days. It usually doesn't start getting cool here abouts until late Sept> Anybody got any advice on what my chances are of getting some corn to grow?

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Go for it. You've got the seed, give it a try. This is only the beginning of July (practically) so you may have a shot.

ams3651

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
blurose said:
I live in the PNW--Oregon actually. I was wondering if it is too late to plant corn. My dad, central CA, used to plant corn every 5-6 weeks up until August so he'd get a staggered crop. I just want one little crop of corn. I've got a packet of corn seeds that says harvest in 70 days. It usually doesn't start getting cool here abouts until late Sept> Anybody got any advice on what my chances are of getting some corn to grow?
not sure what your weather is like but if its still on the cooler side you can try to force it to sprout by "tenting" it in clear plastic. some farmers started doing it here to get early corn and it worked well. Corn likes the hot days.

Tutter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I started some late corn, and it's getting big!

I will give you a tip:

Pre-soak the seed. Do you have something like a sour cream container? Put the kernals in it, then fill with very warm water. Leave it overnight.

If you get busy, and can't plant, drain the water the next evening, and fill with fresh water, but not that warm.

After that you'll have a situation, because it will be growing! lol! :)

Have fun! :)

DDRanch

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I am in Northern California and planted corn about 10 days ago.....I put it on drip and the little plants are now about 3 inches tall. I say, plant....see what happens, then you will know....good luck
Anne

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Tutter said:
I started some late corn, and it's getting big!

I will give you a tip:

Pre-soak the seed. Do you have something like a sour cream container? Put the kernals in it, then fill with very warm water. Leave it overnight.

If you get busy, and can't plant, drain the water the next evening, and fill with fresh water, but not that warm.

After that you'll have a situation, because it will be growing! lol! :)

Have fun! :)
Good advice here as well as the tenting with plastic suggestion.

Corn does need warmer weather and I'm guessing in the PNW this is as warm as it's going to get?

I agree with others, go for it!

ams3651

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Chicken_Boy said:
Grow them inside first, and if they sprout, transplant them outside. :)
you could try it but corn is one of those things that really doesnt like transplanting. I tried it last year in an attempt at early corn and they didnt grow after planted.

DrakeMaiden

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
The trick with transplanting fussy plants is to not mess around with the root ball.

I'm just about in the same boat with the corn this year. The stuff I planted earlier (like once every week I would plant a row) has not done very well anyway. My most recent planting is doing better.

blurose

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Thank U all so much for the good advice. I do have a small greenhouse, but with the temps gettin into the 90's outside, I think they would just cook in the greenhouse. I'll try planting outside. If nothing comes of it or something digs up the corn before it takes, all I'm out is about $1.50 cause I got the seed 50% off sale. ;) I will make sure to soak the seeds first though. thanks again