Is it too late to plant corn?

smom1976

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I just planted mine today.. I am in north florida.. I did a boo boo..

I am planting in the square foot gardening methood.. well anyway you are supposed to plant 4 per square foot..

I got it in my head every 4 inches.. that is 16 per square foot.. :rolleyes:

I will have to thin or try to trans plant..

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
smom1976 said:
I just planted mine today.. I am in north florida.. I did a boo boo..

I am planting in the square foot gardening methood.. well anyway you are supposed to plant 4 per square foot..

I got it in my head every 4 inches.. that is 16 per square foot.. :rolleyes:

I will have to thin or try to trans plant..
Thin to every 6 inches. I wouldn't try transplanting because corn doesn't take well to it.

smom1976

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
ha ha ha...

I went out and picked out every seed and replanted. now god is giving us a downpour..

how perfect is that!

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
I did the square foot for my corn also. The bed is 4 x 35 ft. so it wasn't an exact science. I had to thin a few that I got too close to one another....transplanted fine and are growing well now! If your soil is nice and soft and one is careful when pulling up, they don't seem to do too badly!

smom1976

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
my soil is perfect.. the only downside is that I have a layer of cardboard about 4-5 inches down.. they are new beds and I put the cardboard down in leu of tilling.. it is real soft now and will become part of the mulch.. hopefully it will mulch faster than the roots grow..

this year is my first year with my garden so ..

can you say "learning curve"

:tools

"beekissed" how many 4x35 beds do you have? That would be awsome.. are yours wood beds?

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Don't get excited :) ...they are only "one board" raised, approx. 6-8 in. deep and I left some of the raised beds without the wood enclosure (ran out of wood!) I have 9 (4 x 35 ft.) beds with permanent pathways. Some of the paths are reseeded to grass(between the wood beds) and the others have black plastic and wood chips. Every bed is mulched with old hay (took 3 round bales!!!) If you do this, remember that the folks who write those articles about widths of the bed are more than likely men!!! 4 ft. is too wide for a typical woman to reach comfortably from both sides unless that bed is raised to about 3 ft. tall! Otherwise, you lean over to plant, prune, etc. and topple over into the bed (not supposed to walk on the "no-till" soil!). My garden is on a very slight grade, so this is even more likely to happen when I am planting on the upward side. :p This is my first year doing it and it took a lot of work using the resources I had. Fortunately, I have 2 strong teenagers still at home! To establish the "raised" effect, without enclosures, we merely mounded the soil out of the pathways into the beds. The paths are wide enough to drive my lawn tractor and dump cart through. I am not battling weeds like everyone else right now, due to the mulch and, since my garden is on a grade, I don't have the problem with too much moisture like others in my area right now. Seems like the raised beds provide enough moisture in the dry times and don't retain too much in the wet. I think I will keep it this way! Tell you what, as soon as we established these raised beds and mulched, every worm in the territory moved in....big ones! I was amazed! Must be just the kind of place they like to live.... :)

smom1976

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
worms... wonderful.

I have moved tons of dirt .. Literally..

not a single worm...

I did find one worm near the house when I moved a drain stone.. (the gutter ones) the chicken that was following me gobbled it up right away..

We are getting ready to start worming ....:) we saw this pic and are going to make worm beds in our garden paths..

http://www.themodernhomestead.us/photo/show/id/182.html

http://www.themodernhomestead.us/photo/show/id/181.html

http://www.themodernhomestead.us/article/Chickens+and+Worms.html
I read a bunch more about it and we are going to use the paths between our garden beds to have worm bins and place the tops on them... seems just perfect use of just a path.

ours will prob be 2 or 2.5 feet wide and then the length of the path.. now that I am thinking prob 2 feet giving full use of plywood sizing. cuttin a piece right down the center. :p

smom1976

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
that rubbermaid under the rabbit hutch is GREAT! I love it.. but we dont have any rabbits.

My DH wanted to raise meat rabbits but I am not so sure about that.

and for the record we have a small lot too.. my worm bins will be smaller than those pictured.. and I will prob start with just one.. get it up and running and then pull some worms out and start another.. (depending on how successfull I do on the first one.)

Latest posts