Is mushroom cultivation on Fir logs a practical idea?

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
When we moved in this house 3 years ago, there is a Korean Fir which is already dead. Our neighbor suggested us to cut it down.
If we do so, do you think mushroom cultivation on Fir logs will be a practical idea? Thanks in advance.

Mushroom cultivation is something I am quite keen to try, as we have some corners in the garden that are really shady, quite like a small scale woodland.

We also own a small piece of woodland somewhere, I'm also quite interested to find some suitable logs from there.

Dirtmechanic

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
The key may be lignin, found in hardwoods. I am well sure at some point the fungal attack can start on a pine log but I have piles of both hardwood and pine and the pine just sits and gets punky where the hardwoods both disappear into a mulch and grow mushrooms. They say there is love out there for everyone, maybe your pine just needs you to help it find the right partner.

Last edited:

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
When we moved in this house 3 years ago, there is a Korean Fir which is already dead. Our neighbor suggested us to cut it down.
If we do so, do you think mushroom cultivation on Fir logs will be a practical idea? Thanks in advance.

Mushroom cultivation is something I am quite keen to try, as we have some corners in the garden that are really shady, quite like a small scale woodland.

We also own a small piece of woodland somewhere, I'm also quite interested to find some suitable logs from there.

there are different fungi for different materials/woods. when cultivating a known fungi it is often preferable to use fairly green wood that has not been yet innoculated by fungi so that what you end up getting is more likely to be what you've innoculated.

i wanted to do that here when a friend mentioned he was taking down a lot of apple trees because we have the north hedge i could have hidden the logs under after innoculating them. as it turned out he forgot i wanted those logs and then later on he said there was poison ivy on them so he just put them in a pile in his swampy woodland to rot there instead. ah well, it was a nice thought. :)

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Thanks for the inputs, last year when we first time visited the woodland my father-in-law gave us as a gift (somehow mysterious, he bought that in his early 20s, and only visited there less than 5 times in his life, quite far away from where he lives, but just 10 mins driving from where we live now), I have this idea for mushroom cultivation.

P1093062.JPG
I used to grow different mushrooms from the cultivation packages sold on the market, really want to try it on the wood. Later this year we might really go to pick one or tow for a trial.

Those logs, they just look so attractive~~~ :love

P1093065.JPG

Alasgun

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Good luck with the mushroom project. Several years ago, i went down that path; did my homework, bought from a reputable supplier, followed the instructions and 3-4 years later all i have is a nice pile of rotting 12 inch diameter logs!
And that’s in a wood’s with Turkey tail mushrooms and Chaga growing in freely.

Latest posts