Is there a way to can cabbage?

Broke Down Ranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
We like just plain boiled or cooked cabbage and I was wondering if it could be canned like this? The only recipes I find are for kraut or chow-chow....

setter4

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
My understanding has always been that cabbage gets a really unpleasant tase and texture if it's canned plain.

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I used to know a (rather strange) couple who I visited one day in the fall and Oh. My. Goodness! were they ever canning cabbage! It was amazing. It smelled like the house should explode :p I was told they were on their third totally-full large pressure cooker load of it of the day.

Wow.

Apparently THEY thought you could can cabbage.

Mind you, I am not 100% sure whether they had ever done it before to know about the results from, and even if they did, they were kind of strange and I don't know if their tastes would be the same as your tastes.

But clearly there are people who do it.

Good luck,

Pat

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
wifezilla said:
Are you sure they weren't canning saur kraut? When my neighbor made it the WHOLE NEIGHBORHOOD reeked!
Nope, this was just cabbage, cut up, stuffed in canning jars. Still reeked real good though!

Kimchee is a good idea. Mmmmm :)

Pat

setter4

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
patandchickens said:
wifezilla said:
Are you sure they weren't canning saur kraut? When my neighbor made it the WHOLE NEIGHBORHOOD reeked!
Nope, this was just cabbage, cut up, stuffed in canning jars. Still reeked real good though!

Kimchee is a good idea. Mmmmm :)

Pat
A couple of years ago I was on a canning forum where there was a running argument about canning cabbage and whether it became sauerkraut after you canned it. I don't think either side ever relented in the least about it. I know there were people on there who canned it and CALLED it sauerkraut....
Personally I'd think it would get mushy and lord knows it would stink to high heaven. lol

ldburton

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Jackie Clay of Backwoods Home renown talks of canning cabbage. I thinks she just poured off the canning liquid and heated with butter, but it's been a while since I read about it. I'll bet you could find it on their website.

Latest posts