Is there anything that deer won't eat?

Randy

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I would like to expand my garden this year but I won't have the time or $ to fence in the new area I want to plant. It's a nice level place in a field behind the house. I have planted turnips there in the past and didn't have any trouble with deer but still I'm a little worried about putting out a lot of stuff that the deer might hit.

What I wondering is, are there things I can plant back there that the deer will be less likely to mess with? I was thinking of okra, squash and maybe some gourds.

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
The only things I know of that are VERY safe are onions, garlic, asparagus, rhubarb and most any type of herb.

Summer squash is a pretty good bet they would leave them alone, but I would protect them when the plants are small. They tend to avoid prickly vines on the ground, at least here.
Not sure about okra or gourds ...:hu

Deer are different in different areas. I have only had them nibble on tomato and pepper plants when the plants are small and not caged. After they are mature they tend to leave them alone. This could be that other, more desirable food is plentiful tho... like my green beans ... :rolleyes:
They have never munched on my cucumber plants.

Potato tops are supposed to be poisonous, but they ate my neighbors plants... all of them!

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I never know year to year what the heck they will eat ..and just when I think I have it nailed I find them taking half my cherry tree or something ...I do know they love squash here!!! really love it when it is young if they will even wait for the squash to bloom ..like me they like the blossoms even better than the squash ..I have such a hard time growing them that it is heartbreaking when my plants are munched to the ground ...
I did find as lavender2 said that herbs are not touched so I planted tons of sage and rosemary (it literally grows like weeds here) around the outside of the garden and it seems to have slowed them down ..I figure the buffet table just looks a little less interesting with that on the first part of it ...and maybe they will just go right on buy to easier pickens ..fortunately on the way up my hill to the yard there are much more readily available items that mine are just a little harder to work for ...and my dogs seem to help I brush them at the edge of the yard so the hair is all over the place and hopefully they pick up the smell and stay away ..although my bully dogs would probably lead them to the best pickings they do not know that!

it is so pretty to see them wandering around and they cause so much damage!!!!

good luck

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Oh yes, HiD... we had so much less trouble with the deer when we had the dogs... lost them to old age the past two years...:(
Our retriever would even sense the deer from in the house and run to the door barking. They spent the day in the yard with us and I'm sure their scent helped a lot.

I had amazing luck with fishing line last year. I ran it 3 feet high between metal stakes. AND I got to witness it working!
The deer walked up to the line, like they didn't see it... when they hit the line they backed up and tried again.
One deer snorted like it was mad ... :lol: ... then they turned and went back in the woods!

Not the best photo ... it was foggy... and taken through a window ... but OH ... it sure was a fun thing to see!! :celebrate

6517_deer_8-09_01.jpg

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I am so sorry you lost your dogs :(

and the picture is great I like the fogginess of it!

if you google how to keep deer out of the garden you can find a billion tips online! do we have a thread here just for deer tips I wonder?

my husband says just put a trail of their favorite munchies ..right to the freezer and let them hop in!

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have read so much about what deer will and will not eat. It seems to me there are some plants that are deer resistant- however, there are no guarantees. If they get hungry enough, I think they will try anything! The first year I planted a garden the deer walked/ran through it and broke a lot of plants off. Didn't even eat them, just killed them!! I refuse to plant anything that is not fenced off now. I hate the way the fencing looks, and I hate spending money and energy on it-but I hate watching something grow and then finding it gone!! The deer are beautiful creatures- I have woods and a wildflower field they are welcome to- but not the veggies!! I found a lot of good cheap fencing options at garage sales... Good luck!

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Lavendar2 - That is such a beautiful picture! I suppose I can say that since I don't have deer. Did you think so at the time you took the picture? or did you think "darn those deers are not deers":D

Mary

nittygrittydirtdigger

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I was just reading a blog yesterday about a lady who had problems with deer munching her veggie garden down. She planted onions and garlic densely all around the perimeter of the garden and had great success. From what I've read, any strong-scented veggie or herb would do, since the deer rely so much on their sense of smell. They need to "keep their noses clean" in order to scent danger.

I used to live in a small community that was part of an 8000 acre wildlife preserve. There were thousands of deer and they would eat anything! The only thing they ever left alone was a few daffodils. Dang giant rodents!

4grandbabies

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Dont know how good it is, but Gardens alive sells a repellant(not cheap)... I havent had too much trouble with deer , but used to have rabbits wiping out the emerging green beans and lettuce, I found that sprinkling blood meal around repelled them.. it is advised to not get it directly on the plant tho.. just around them.. problem, its not cheap either, and after heavy rain .. you have to reapply Have a friend that sprinkles a bit of Sevin lightly on their plants and it worked.. personally I dont want all that "poison" in my garden.

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
ninnymary said:
Lavendar2 - That is such a beautiful picture! I suppose I can say that since I don't have deer. Did you think so at the time you took the picture? or did you think "darn those deers are not deers":D

Mary
:lol: ... Mary

I am always in awe at their beauty ... and love to watch the new fawns come in to feed on the clover in the grass.
It's the .. AWE!, that plant was 3 feet tall yesterday! ... when I wish I was dreaming... :)

Fencing really is the best option for a vegetable garden.
But contrary to what I have read, and experienced, an 8 foot permanent fence is not the only option.
I have fenced sections of crops, like beets and carrots, to keep rabbits out... using 4ft garden fencing and metal garden stakes.
I enclose long narrow areas, 5-6 ft wide by 20 ft long.
Then I put stakes or poles here and there down the center. If the deer don't have a clear place to land they likely will not jump the fence.

Just something to try if you are in a pinch and find the beasts have been snacking on your best crop of lettuce ... ;)

I usually plant onions along the front of the garden ... it does seems like the deer avoid that area ... :)