Is there something odd going on with mint this year?

AmyRey

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I've tried to find some mint plants (plain, old, regular mint) to go in a pot and despite weeks of checking the usual sources, I can't find any.

I even lucked up and met the nursery delivery truck at Wally World yesterday and even he complained about not having/getting any this year.

I can't even seem to run across any seeds. (Are mint seeds usually available?)

Is there some rare mint disease running rampant? lol

I did find some spearmint last week so maybe I can hold off a bit longer.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Do you have any family, friends, or neighbors with mint? If you do, I am 100% confident that they would love to share some with you! Once you have planted mint, you will never need to buy it again- perhaps that explains why you can't find it? Why not put a "wanted" ad on Craigslist? There is no shortage of mint (if you were closer to me, I would invite you to some of mine!)
I have grown mint from seed-but don't often see the "regular" type... Good luck!

AmyRey

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Not anymore, no. My grandmother tossed her mint a couple of years ago. :(

I will run across some eventually.

wsmoak

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I just started spearmint from seed (Park Seed catalog had it earlier this year) and I think there are seeds for one or two more kinds of mint in the seed drawer somewhere...

-Wendy

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I was recently at the local nursery and they had a TON in so many different types... and they had it as both Organic and non. I'm good on mint, though I thought twice on the chocolate mint. But we barely use what we have.... other then my summer mojitos! lol

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
If you just want plain ol 'hey it's mint', surely you will run across someone with some to give away -- does your town/region have a garden club or horticultural society or suchlike, where you could meet people maximally-likely to want to give away mint? (Anyone who has it, generally is HAPPY to unload some of it :))

If you want fancy mints (like, beyond the usual spearmint/peppermint/chocolate/apple type things) mail order can be a reasonable option if you want several varieties, enough to make the postage worthwhile. Richters (www.richters.com) has a whole huge variety of mints and does ship to the US, and I am sure there are a number of domestic mail-order places with herbs too.

Mints do not generally set viable seeds, not the fancy 'flavored' mints anyhow. So no, most of them are not usually available as seed, although spearmint and I *think* also peppermint (?) can be had that way.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Planting mint from seed is very chancy. No matter what type of mint the seed came from most of it will revert back to the wild type. Mint is better planted from cuttings or divisions so you know what kind you will end up with.

AmyRey

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Okay, okay. I'll just be patient then.

(Ha!)

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
you may have to wait a few more weeks for me to make sure mine came back, but i have chocolate, peppermint and sprearmint, the applemint i don't think will come back. it looks like it got hit hard by the winter. i have a friend that has tons of the stuff that i can probably get you some cuttings to root!

oh, and btw, i noticed that recently it seems like it is hard to find mint online. it is either sold out or not being carried in some of my catalogs this year. i tried to get some wild type seeds and i got refunded because they were out! :rolleyes:

Latest posts