**Is this an apple tree?**

okiemommy

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I'm worried about the people who will be living in that addition. I have never seen construction like that. I hope it doesn't topple the tree. And where can I get a crab apple jelly recipe?
:yuckyuck

It looks like a crab apple tree to me too. It looks like the ones that I used to play around at the dr's office when I was a kid. They had three of them. It looks like they might be getting some worms or something eating at them. I remember almost all of his apples had worm holes in them, and the leaves looked fairly similar to the brown spots on your leaves. I could be wrong, so maybe someone that has more experience can give you a definite on that one. It was a long time ago..... :coolsun

et b/c I forgot a few words :p

ShellieESterling

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I actually just finally got my internet back a hour or so ago...

Now that I'm here and see the tree up close, it appears to be a crabapple. The apples are a decent size, but they're turning from green to red in places with some little speckles. I know a picture would help more, so maybe I'll take one later today... and go figure, I've got TWO of these, not just one like I originally thought. I found a smaller one in the woods a few yards back.

Now when do I harvest them and what can I make with them?

okiemommy

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
glad to have you back! :)

I don't know what you can make with them, or when you harvest them. I'm wanting to say that here it is mid to late summer. I bet though you could post in the recipes section on the BYC and ask someone, or better yet to attract traffic to easy gardening, you could post a topic on here, and put the link for it in your sig line. :D Hope you get some answers! Are you moved onto the new place?

ShellieESterling

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
okiemommy said:
glad to have you back! :)
Are you moved onto the new place?
Thanks :D And yes, we're moved in. No where near done renovating or unpacking though. We've been here since June 30th, but just finally got internet and cable in this morning. I'm going to make my blog public again, so everyone can see how the house is coming along.
http://sterlingacreshomestead.blogspot.com

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Crabapple Pectin (for use in making small amounts of jams from any other fruits, as per below)

2 lbs somewhat unripe crabapples
4 c water
2 Tb lemon juice

Wash and stem crabapples, but DO NOT peel or core. Cut into halves or quarters depending on size. Combine with water in large stainless or enamel saucepan. Bring to boil over hi, cover, reduce heat and simmer 40 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Strain through a coarse sieve and discard solids, then put thru a damp jelly bag or several layers of damp cheesecloth.

Ladle into hot jars and process 10 min in a boiling water bath.

makes 4 half-pints.

Small-batch jams made with crabapple pectin

1 c of any reasonable fruit, finely chopped
1 half-pint jar of homemade pectin
3/4 c granulated sugar

(for very low acid fruits, e.g. sweet cherries, add 1/2 tsp lemon juice to the fruit)

Combine fruit, pectin and sugar in a stainless or enamel pan. Bring to boil over hi and boil rapidly, uncovered, til mixture will gel (look up gel testing in a canning book), probably 10-15 minutes, stirring constantly.

Ladle into hot jars. Since this doesn't make very much (1 1/4 c) you may want to just refrigerate the result, or you can process 10 min in a boiling water bath.

(From Topp and Howard, The Complete Book of Small Batch Preserving, since I still have it sitting at the computer from looking up the blueberry jam recipes :p)

Pat

Tutter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Thank you, Pat!

I have little apples on 13 trees, just waiting to become pectin! Muahahah! ;)

ams3651

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I just wanted to add, keep an eye on it, it may turn out to be an old standard apple tree like I have. They are small and green right now with just a couple with some red spots. But my yellows are still green.

ShellieESterling

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
ams3651 said:
I just wanted to add, keep an eye on it, it may turn out to be an old standard apple tree like I have. They are small and green right now with just a couple with some red spots. But my yellows are still green.
The fruit at the top of the tree seems to be much larger. Maybe half of my fist, so half a real apple. I'm hoping their real ones. Can you make applesauce with crabapples? I usually buy a few bushels from the local farms and make a ton for the boys during the fall. Maybe I can cut out the middle man. :lol: