Is This ?

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
It looks like it, but I wonder why the seller doesn't get it in working order before he sells it?

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yes, it will pump water, maybe more than you want. How much water a pump will move depends on a few things, how high you are pumping it, how long the hose is and how big, hose material for the friction factor, plus any obstructions like valves or fittings it goes through, and the efficiency of the pump. Some of that stuff is a lot more important than others. I know I'm making it sound more complicated than it really is, but what can I say. I'm an engineer and try to get things pretty precise but pumps are not an area of my expertise.

I could not find a pump curve for that specific model. I did find where a 3 hp pump operating at 0.6 efficiency can move 240 gallons a minute to a height of 50 feet. If you are only raising it 10 feet, you'll get about 1200 gallons per minute.

Different pumps have different capacities so you need the curve for that specific pump but that may give you a feel for how quick it may drain your pond.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Getting water from a pond or stream isn't a bad idea at all if you can legally do that. You just need a pump the right size and a system set up to do the job. Water rights vary a lot from state to state. You might want to check into the law in your area before you start taking water from a stream, but at least you are not out west where battles have been fought over water rights.

Another way would be to use that pump or a smaller one but set up a tank that you fill then use gravity from that tank to gradually water the trees. Think of a rainwater barrel system. There are lots of different ways to do it.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
It's a transfer pump designed to take water from a tank to another tank. It is probably not self priming. Avoid it as you have no idea what chemical solutions it has been used on.

You can buy what you need for couple hundred online or at Ace Hardware.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Check out Earthquake wp4310. This is more what you need.

This is NOT an endorsement for this particular model or brand.

Latest posts