Is This ?

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm wondering if a bilge pump would serve your purpose? Joel Salatin uses bilge pumps to move water from his ponds to his water tanks for cattle.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
You will want to take a 5 gallon bucket and drill a bunch of holes it it to act as a pre screen before the screen in the intake hose if pulling out of stream, pond, etc.

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
It's only illegal if they catch you. Good luck
One of my son's father in law owns a law firm with 11 lawyers in Cal. that specializes in water rights for farmers, irrigation districts, towns, counties and State. Water is very expensive especially in times of drought so taking water without having water rights or permission could dramatically increase one's costs.

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
i know here you need a permit to divert water from streams/lakes/rivers for private use. they just want to be sure you aren't going to ruin a neighbor's property or pollute the water in any way if it drains back to the ground water or source when it's done.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
One of my son's father in law owns a law firm with 11 lawyers in Cal. that specializes in water rights for farmers, irrigation districts, towns, counties and State. Water is very expensive especially in times of drought so taking water without having water rights or permission could dramatically increase one's costs.
Understand in different areas different priorities, laws, needs, etc but here in Midwest (sounds like in @Nyboy's area) water is not a shortage.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
I don't know how water rights have been changed over the years, but basically the rights belonged to the property owner East of the Mississippi and the water rights were shared to the West. There are some 'rules' about not changing the waterway to affect landowners downstream in the East.

Latest posts