ISO: Riding Mower Grass Catcher Tube Replacement

SprigOfTheLivingDead

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
So I have a Husqvarna TS 348 XD riding mower. I bought a three basket grass catcher for it but find that when I have it all set up that the tube that runs between the mower deck and the basket cover on the back slips out more than it should (ever?) and ends up deflecting all that grass or leaves more onto your back and neck and not in the baskets. Anyone bought the aftermarket tubing for a grass catcher and used that as a replacement for their own mower catcher tube? Just looking for a better experience than catching a face full of grass a few times every mow that I would use this on. Leaf collection season is coming up, so I want to be ready and don't want to spend $60 on tubing only to be disappointed.

example tubing:
tube.jpg

example mower pic:
mower example.jpg

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
UGGG!!! Bought one of those for a John Deere. Never COULD set it up to work right.
I am WEARING OUT my bag for one of my push mowers, but it has always worked.
Now, I have to put a slim brick towards where it attaches, bc it has buckled up with age and tries to block the chute.

SprigOfTheLivingDead

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
UGGG!!! Bought one of those for a John Deere. Never COULD set it up to work right.
I am WEARING OUT my bag for one of my push mowers, but it has always worked.
Now, I have to put a slim brick towards where it attaches, bc it has buckled up with age and tries to block the chute.
Thanks for the support. ugh.

dickiebird

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
If the dia. of your hose is correct you may try a piece if hose used on a clothes dryer outlet.
I think a dryer hose is about 4" in dia.You can probably check at any big box store for the dryer hose.

THANX RICH

Dirtmechanic

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Thinking about an extension, I would use clear heat formable plastic. A heat gun will do. Use it in a linear fashion as it takes some time to bend the flat material heating up and down the tube. I would attempt to extend where the 2 tubes connect and use a longer rubber band. Use the existing pipe as your mold. When you have the diameter you wish, use a fine saw like metal cutting to shape it. It can be plastic welded, but more likely drilling it and using broad washers under rivets will produce a tough but smooth connection. Plus you can see a clog in the pipe. Personally I ditched my bagger years ago in favor of a sweeper. I run mulching blades exclusively and the mulched leaves are very fine so it takes a longer time before dumping the larger volume sweeper. I do not even get off the mower, just tied a rope to the upper frame and tug it. I put the leaves to various compost uses or in the garden. This style is a good one.
1046772 (1).jpeg

I find myself using it to "broom rake" when aerating, after dethatching, after storms with small sticks and twigs which it will pick up.

Last edited:

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
if cardboard and duct tape don't do it i think the next step up used to be beer cans and wire coat hangers but times have certainly changed... i guess a #10 can and some old extension cords might have to do instead.

sorry, nothing useful comes to mind here...

Dirtmechanic

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Metal gets bent, but you made me think about smaller round trash cans and paint can sized containers that are cuttable. Some plastic should not be used, I mean the hard brittle type. The softer resin type plastic will prove tougher and not shatter under impact or abuse from a mower.

Latest posts