It may be a good GRAPE year!

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
nachoqtpie said:
Oh good... I'm glad I'm not the only one who planted their grapes on a fence instead of post and wire system! :p

We just really don't have the room for the post and wires without them being in the back yard... and with 2 Greyhounds that don't watch where they're going when they run... we thought it might be a bit too dangerous for them, so we planted on our chain link fence! Hopefully we never have to replace it! LOL
Careful Nacho! Black spot is rampant in NC, that's why you find more muscadine type grapes growing there then anything else... they're immune! I'm watching mine like a hawk, turns out we have what we've figured to be Riesling grapes.

Chickie'sMomaInNH, yes, this is the vine from the neighbor who said it wouldn't produce for him and gave it to us. He came by the other day and was standing out by it cursing it terribly for not being this prolific for him! :lol: There are more then 30 bunches on it and the bottom vine is sagging terribly from all the weight from those bunches! (I took a cutting from this vine last year and it took, so I transplanted that vine down by the driveway and its doing great too!!!)

wifezilla, that's terrible! On our 4 apple trees we only got a couple dozen blooms... and there is only 1 apple to come up on any of them! (I bagged it to see how it ends up doing. I hope its delicious!)

nachoqtpie

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
vfem said:
Careful Nacho! Black spot is rampant in NC, that's why you find more muscadine type grapes growing there then anything else... they're immune! I'm watching mine like a hawk, turns out we have what we've figured to be Riesling grapes.
I have no idea what black spot is.... what is it??

vfem said:
wifezilla, that's terrible! On our 4 apple trees we only got a couple dozen blooms... and there is only 1 apple to come up on any of them! (I bagged it to see how it ends up doing. I hope its delicious!)
Why did you bag the apple? Should I do that to ours too? There are a handful of immature apples on our tree.

nachoqtpie

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Okay... I haven't seen anything like that... but I'll be sure to keep an eye out for it!! Looks gross!

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
nachoqtpie said:
Okay... I haven't seen anything like that... but I'll be sure to keep an eye out for it!! Looks gross!
Just giving you warning, haven't seen it yet either... but it requires a fungicide treatment each season. I use a neem oil to coat my fruits vines & trees. Just in case you know. ;)

I think NC State has some good stuff on their website about preventatives for several diseases common to NC for many fruits & veggies. They've been awesome to contact for help!

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Funny that you mention this- I don't have cultivated grapes, but I have tons of wild ones. Holy cow, the vines are huge and covered with grapes. More than I have seen in 20 some years. Must be grapes like cool and wet weather!!

nachoqtpie

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
So... if we get some of this neem oil we can just spray it on in the beginning of the season and we're good to go? Do we need to keep applying it? Is there anything we shouldn't use it on?

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
nachoqtpie said:
So... if we get some of this neem oil we can just spray it on in the beginning of the season and we're good to go? Do we need to keep applying it? Is there anything we shouldn't use it on?
There are different anti fungals out there. Neem oil is an acceptable organic method, not as strong as the non-organics. You definitely have to research what is right for you.

Lesa, mine are not getting any wet cool weather... that's for sure! LOL

Latest posts