It pays to have friends in high places

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
Several days ago I found an item on eBay that I really wanted. A dealer in plants for bonsai had come across a planting of about 15 four year old rooted olive trees and was offering them with no minimum. The sale ended at three in the morning, so I bid $20.10 before I went to sleep. In the morning I had an email from eBay saying I had won the plants for $15.50; I was really thrilled and paid immediately. Five days went by and the plants did not ship, and the seller did not return any of four email inquiries; now the plants were past the due date. I wrote the seller one last time stating that he had certainly earned the negative feedback that I intended to post. Finally, I heard from the seller saying that he was at the American Bonsai Society show in Saratoga Springs, New York trying to establish a relationship with the society. I wrote back and said, say hi to Pauline for me, she has been a dear friend for decades. Pauline is the lord high guru of the society. Within 45 minutes I had a tracking number for the plants, and, my full purchase price, plus shipping was back in my PayPal account. So, today I received 19 plants free of charge, and one of them has the potential to be a very nice bonsai with hardly any shaping. Yep, it pays to have friends in high places. :cool:

JackB

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well that certainly turned out more than good! Funny how knowing people works to your advantage sometimes.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
That is a story with a happy ending! Good for you... Surprised you weren't in Saratoga yourself.

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
lesa said:
That is a story with a happy ending! Good for you... Surprised you weren't in Saratoga yourself.
I had gone to the show several times before. Looking at the trees on display depresses me. They are so beautiful and I can never hope to get to that level.

JackB

bj taylor

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
that's very cool. I've always been intrigued by bonsai. the art of it is always so amazing, especially the ones that bear fruit or cones, or flowers

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
ninnymary said:
Jack, I think the reason you got them is because you're so nice. :)

Glad they went to a good home.

Mary
Mary,
You certainly know how to make me blush. ;)

JackB

Latest posts