It Rained! / Rain Barrel Questions

TillinWithMyPeeps

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
It rained pretty hard here, and both of my rain barrels are about 1/3 of the way full. The only problem is that the water in them looks brownish gray rather than clear. What could be causing this discoloration?

Is it safe to use this water on vegetables? Or, should I save it for decorative things like my Cut Flower Garden ?

Thanks!

TillinWithMyPeeps

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
wifezilla said:
Did you clean your gutters before you put in the barrels?
No. It rained yesterday, and that water went into the barrels, then I drained the barrels to get the "dirty water" out (it was the first rain in a week and a half) This water looks better than that, and has now settled out some. It looks kind of yellowish now. :hu

lupinfarm

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Andy123 said:
Does your water come out brownish gray?

Are you dead? :lol:
Nope, LOL maybe your rain is brownish grey?! My barrels are really dirty right now and need cleaning, but a bit of dirt won't affect me if i water my plants with it if you water the roots not the foliage.

Are your barrels open top without screens?

TillinWithMyPeeps

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
No, they are closed top and are linked with a pipe at the bottom. When it first started raining, there were twigs and leaves going into the barrel, so, I set up some (quarter inch?) hardware cloth to keep the big stuff out.

I just did some research on this too, and, it doesn't look like it should be much of a concern. I might use what is in there now just for decorative plants, and then any other cleaner rain water, use for the vegetables.

TillinWithMyPeeps

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Well, I just went out and checked it again, it looks like the water is now basically clear. On the bottom there is some dirt (which is probably what made the water brown) and, the things floating in it are just bits of leaves and plastic shavings from when I first assembled the barrel.

This should work out!

JohnL11935

Sprout
Reaction score
Not sure where you are located but in my area on Long Island just about everything is covered in pollen.

We had a light rain shower this morning and when I went outside to leave for work you can see the yellow/green water trails running the driveway.

After the pollen dies down in a couple of weeks I will do my annual power washing of the house and outbuildings.

It kinda stinks in that when we have warm weather you really can't open the windows unless you want to clean up the pollen dust all day long.

CityChook

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
My guess is that your roof was dirty and that's why the rainbarrel water was brown. I wouldn't worry too much.

Depending on what your roofing material is (and how old it is), be careful using that rain water on your vegetables. Lots of modern roofing has arsenic in it, making the run off a bit toxic. Since I'm too stingy to buy a water test kit, I only water flowers with the rain barrel, not the garden, just to be sure.

Latest posts