Italian Ice Tomatoes?

ShellieESterling

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Has anyone tried these yet? I'm considering them, my boys love cherry tomatoes for snacks.

Italian Ice Tomatoes - Burpee.com
b68120.jpg

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I'd really stay away from them. You have to buy them in plants (from Burpee) and the plants produce sterile flowers that will not produce seed and if any seed is produced it will not be true to the parent plant. Furthermore this variety is very susceptible to disease. Although a mildly prolific producer the fruits have a bland and dull flavor.

I would recommend Green Grape or Lemon Drop they are both great varieties that taste really good and still are very different.

Good luck!

ShellieESterling

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
simple - I posted links on both threads. You can find Italian Ice Tomatoes and the Lemon Cukes at Burpee.

Oakland - Thanks. I read the reviews after I posted this. They do seem to be disease prone, so I'll pass. Thank you for the suggestions for others though. I'm going to try a few different varieties.

ams3651

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
i have them in the ground right now with no problems

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
ams3651 said:
i have them in the ground right now with no problems
Let us know how they turn out. I've heard a lot of bad news from other gardeners and in our recent experimental gardens they didn't do well at all. The ones that weren't effected by disease just didn't live up to what, IMHO, should be good tomatoes.

Tutter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
OaklandCityFarmer took the words out of my mouth. I am addicted to green grape tomatoes. I would probably follow someone with a basket of those over someone with a slice of cake! ;)

ams3651

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
last year I planted the yellow pear shaped grape tomatoes, even though I dont like tomatoes, everyone I gave them too loved them. I planted more this year and Roma's.

one of the italian ice is just about dead I think but its been poor since I planted it.

ams3651

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
progress report - the one i thought was dead came back very well. Flowers but so far no fruit, but my yellow pears have nothing really so far either. I think last year this time I was over run so Im not sure. Should they have not been planted together?? I dont know much about that kind of thing.

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
ams3651 said:
progress report - the one i thought was dead came back very well. Flowers but so far no fruit, but my yellow pears have nothing really so far either. I think last year this time I was over run so Im not sure. Should they have not been planted together?? I dont know much about that kind of thing.
How has the weather been? They just might not be setting fruit because of temps? Proximity shouldn't be a problem.

Latest posts