Italian Ice Tomatoes?

ams3651

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
i went out last night and checked again and there are some on. i think last summer was hotter earlier if I remember. my yellows have too, guess they are just slow. I only had a small patch to plant them so they look like this 5'x5' mass of tomatoes.

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
ams3651 said:
i went out last night and checked again and there are some on. i think last summer was hotter earlier if I remember. my yellows have too, guess they are just slow. I only had a small patch to plant them so they look like this 5'x5' mass of tomatoes.
It may be that also the plants are shading the ground too much so the sun can't get in there to heat up the soil? Just a thought. We usually grow out tomatoes very close, by most standards and really never have had a problem other than disease spread.

ams3651

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
UPDATE
I have several on, I picked some too early then I realized they probably turn yellow before they go white. Had no problems with them at all. Will I be able to save seed from these? Im not sure about all that genetics stuff.

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
ams3651 said:
UPDATE
I have several on, I picked some too early then I realized they probably turn yellow before they go white. Had no problems with them at all. Will I be able to save seed from these? Im not sure about all that genetics stuff.
Unfortunately no, Italian Ice does not produce viable seed from sets. One of those ways that Burpee and other seed co's like to stick it to us.

ams3651

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
well im closing the chapter on these tomatoes. No problems growing them but the weather here just didnt cooperate. They never ripened fully. I have yellow grape tomatoes that finally came on all at once but Ive given up for this year.

Grow 4 Food

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I have never seen them. Are they white when they are ready? Do they start out green? They must be very low in acid?

ams3651

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Grow 4 Food said:
I have never seen them. Are they white when they are ready? Do they start out green? They must be very low in acid?
this is the first I tried them, they should be white. Start out green but mine never got to white.

Latest posts