It's September

Pulsegleaner

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
A little cooler weather with the first small hint of Autumn always makes me think of school. Of course, living near an elementary makes it even more possible ;).

Here is a question for you :).

Do you have memories of mimeogragh handouts, from your classroom days?

Steve
dang spell chequer doesn't even know the word!
Mimeographs no, carbon paper, yes in both Calculus AND Chemistry (both of which required we make duplicates of all our notes for the teachers to check so that they could be sure we were writing everything they said down.) HATED that stuff (since you could never keep a sheet flat and unwrinkled in your backpack, so everything go covered with blue ink.
I just count myself lucky to have gotten in late enough that I never had to use a slide rule, and only had to use mantissa tables for pre-calc 1 (by the time I got to pre calc 2 we could use scientific calculators, and by full AP calc, graphing ones*) Of course the flip side was when we got to AP physics where we weren't allowed ANYTHING and were expected to have simply MEMORIZED all possible logarithm mantissas (AP physics was hell for me, BOTH times I took it**.)

*Or how I discovered the Fly's Head Equation, which I REALLY wish I could still remember.

** In our school if you took AP it was INSTEAD of regents, so you took the regents exam anyway at the end like you were supposed to*** I did pass the regents (so I got to graduate the class) but didn't do well enough on the AP test to qualify for college credit, so I had to take it again when I got there (actually I used NONE of my accumulated AP in college, since the only course where I did well enough to get the credit was Biology, and Cornell said that, since I was going into a biological field, I really needed to take THEIR 101, so I would be based in their teaching style.

***This REALLY became a problem with history became a problem with History, since the AP class was European History while the Regents was in WORLD History (over two years), which meant the three of us who had gotten into AP early had to, once the AP was over, not only review everything from the previous year but also cram in all of the non European History the other non AP class had learned THAT year in about two weeks.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
A little cooler weather with the first small hint of Autumn always makes me think of school. Of course, living near an elementary makes it even more possible ;).

Here is a question for you :).

Do you have memories of mimeogragh handouts, from your classroom days?

the blue sheets are one type and then there were carbon copies too. except carbon copies were only for office work sorts of things and not classroom that i ever recall.

there was another name for the blue sheets but i can't recall that - those brain cells have been recycled or obsoleted (perhaps for trying to remember where the remotes went).

oh, and do you remember when xerox became a general name for making a copy on a copy machine? and now that too has faded into obscurity...

Last edited:

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
oh, and do you remember when xerox became a general name for making a copy on a copy machine?
It may have been the arrival of the canon copier and there was an idea of blasting them out .. !!!!!..

School. First thing was to learn the language of the subject. Ter-min-ol-o-gy.

I often take a very simplistic approach. Maybe it's just dancing around the edges. For example, and having never taken a horticulture class, I can't think of the the name for the study of trees 🤨. Oh wait! Silviculture. Am I right?!

Okay. Why an "Ash" tree? Fireplace ash or something different? Well, etymology helps me out and the most casual of research -- now I learn that ash also has to do with red-hot coals. Must have made a good firewood.

But wait, there is more! Azalea ... same word origin. Probably talking about the glowing color of the flowers. Gives me a new appreciation of the wonderful world around us 🤓.

Steve

Latest posts