It's snowing here!

Rosalind

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
It's bloody snowing! I had my chicken compost all raked out. I had my trucked-in compost all raked over that. I started some indoor seeds last weekend and it was consistently getting up into the 40s and 50s, although freezing at night. The ground was getting squishy and muddy all the time, and I've got fall bulb leaves peeking up through the lawn. The buds on the maple trees are *just so*, ready to be tapped for syrup. The moon is waxing. A slight drizzle or light shower was predicted for the morning, making the ground just damp but not sodden. Perfect weather for planting lettuces and all those "as soon as the ground can be worked" seeds, right?

I get up in my usual early-morning uncaffeinated daze, clip the leash on the dog for walkies, and open the door and it's bloody bloody SNOWING.

It's even sticking a bit. And they've changed all the predictions from rain to snow, but not the temperatures. How can you have a high of 50 F but snow mid-day?

I am SO not happy about this.

Maybe I should plant stuff anyway. The ground isn't frozen, it's still mud underneath the 1/2" of snow. Think that'd be OK for lettuces, peas, that sort of thing?

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
You mean it ever STOPPED snowing down there? Huh. Here in Ontario it is still February. The ground is still heavily snow-covered (although in the last day or two it's worked its way up to almost the melting point), giant snowdrifts, ground has not even begun to thaw. (Waiting for an unusually-vicious meltoff flood when it does, sigh). Count your blessings! :p

Lettuce you *might* be able to get away with (although why not just start it indoors to be on the safe side) but peas I'd be afraid would just rot if the soil is that wet and cold. If you're using treated seed it would help but I still don't personally think I'd risk it.

Pat, with all the drainage ditches (laboriously) shovelled snow-free in anticipation of the Spring thaw that never comes. And it's not because it's Canada... it's because this is a weird year.

Latest posts