It's so ADORABLE!!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
. . . yes but, then you would be up against the difficulty of transplanting those melon starts.

I ordered Blacktail Mountain watermelon seed in 2010. The dang seed never germinated! It was the only thing that never even came up last year.

Kind of glad that it worked out that way. There wasn't much of a chance for melons in 2010 just as it looks like there's not much of a chance for them in 2011.

Last year, I tried a new Charentais melon and it failed to ripen. This year, I've got a different one. These trials are turning out to be very unfair with back-to-back cold springs to start the season. The Galia melon that I've had for a good number of years (Passport) has come thru every year.

Could anyone blame me for not wanting to grow a vine crop that has a 50:50 chance of success? You know, you'd pay a price for somehow goading me into taking big risks! Yeah, I already complain & fret non-stop about allowing eggplant .00001% of my 2010 garden space and then losing them ;).

Steve

edited to add: i do start melons/etc. in the greenhouse and set out. however, the plants are only a couple of weeks old so as to keep the risk of transplant shock low.

nachoqtpie

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I do have to say the original watermelon that I started posting pictures of has slowed considerably in the growth department. There's one on the other side of the mound tho that is still going strong!!

Here's the one on the "other side"

2011-07-08104450.jpg

And look what I found when I was checking on the plants... :he :barnie :somad
2011-07-08104435.jpg

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
That's a beautiful watermelon you have there nachoqtpie!!
I wonder what that hole could mean, maybe a mole or burrowing critter?

nachoqtpie

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
We can't have a cat... Our greyhounds would have too much "fun" with a cat. :(

I AM thinking about taking some of our dog hair and putting out there.... where is a good bag of hair when you need it?? :lol:

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
This is what my husband does about voles... we have TONS of them. He puts the hose in the holes and turns it on. Lets it run about an hour. It drowns some, pushes some out (he has a BB gun and ax for those) and collapses some of their tunnels. For the rest we have cats, and the neighbor's cats as well. It also helps we have HUGE black snakes!

I'm glad your watermelons are doing good still, this heat isn't helping. :(

I still need to get pictures of some of mine, especially since I think you will get a good laugh about it! :lol: I'm a little nuts in the melon department. You'll see! :hu

nachoqtpie

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Well c'mon!!

I think we may have to do that with the voles... I don't know what else to do about them!! The cats don't come around our house that much... LOL

Latest posts