It's so ADORABLE!!

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
It is! It is! I just heard an incredible fact on PBS yesterday. They said asparagus can grow 10 inches in 24 hours!! Certainly your watermelon can grow overnight! Do you see anymore coming??

nachoqtpie

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Oh yes!! There are a couple that are just slightly smaller than the one I've been picturing... and quite a few that are smaller (At least 4!) and still more flowers opening!!

That is an interesting fact! My aunt (who lives in AR right across from a HUGE watermelon patch) said that the hotter the weather... the sweeter the melon will be! I asked her since it's consistantly been in the 90s if we're going to have a sugar cube! :lol:

nachoqtpie

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Wow... look how big it's getting.... OVERNIGHT!

2011-06-27074651.jpg

nachoqtpie

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Just thought you would like to see a new picture... hehe

2011-07-02070300.jpg

It's AMAZING how fast these are growing!! There's another one that is now slightly bigger as well

2011-07-02070227.jpg

It's just so crazy to me that a week ago it was barely bugger then the end of my thumb!

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I was just thinking about your watermelon! Looking good. Remind me what kind they are? The hardest thing about watermelon, is knowing when to pick them. If they aren't ripe, there is no going back!! My plants are still flowering- they better hurry up!!

nachoqtpie

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I honestly have no clue what type they are. Hubs bought a bunch of non gmo hybrid varieties from ARK and they all came in little manila envelopes simply labeled "watermelon" or "Bush beans" or "pumpkins" etc etc. I usually just thump them... at least that's how my aunt told me to do it!! LOL

I just can't believe how quickly they are getting so big! hub wants to put in another plant... I think I've created a monster!! :gig

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
WOW, that week sure made a difference in size. You may want to put some fencing or netting over the patch, Now that it is taking off it would be a shame to have a predator get them. Maybe I am just paranoid though!

nachoqtpie

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I was thinking about it... but they're starting to grow into the corn as well... LOL
I don't know how many "predators" we really have to worry about. I think the biggest predators around here are dogs and an occasional hawk! (they really like the neighbors chickens... LOL)

Latest posts