Jacaranda mimosifolia

injunjoe

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I was driving home from a job today and noticed a Jacaranda in the median and to my suprise in bloom ! I did the double u turn action and stopped to take a closer look. I found two nice seed pods and could not resist snapping off a fine tip cutting! It was about a foot long but I removed all but a few of the new leaves and cut to about 8", used some root hormone and set in my" Cuttings Nursery Zone". My "Nursery Zone" Is a special place in my garden I found that cuttings thrive in! :weight:bow

I read that seeds take a very long time to get a flowering tree.
So My hopes are in the cutting. I think by the looks of the stem it will root without any trouble. If it don't take,
I shale take more cuttings untill I get one to root. :D

nittygrittydirtdigger

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Nice! I wish I could grow them here in 7a but I'll have to settle for memories of seeing them in bloom all along the sidestreets of Santa Barbara.

I hope your Jacaranda grows healthy and strong, and provides you with millions of blooms.

injunjoe

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Thanks and welcome to the forum!
They sure are pretty.
I see some streets were 5 or 6 people have one in there yard across from each other. It makes a purple tunnel over the road.

I want to get a few cuttings going and offer to plant one in my neighbor's yard across from me. My wife asked her for some Plumeria
cuttings she was not so forth cumming. :smack

When I gave her some eggs and mentioned how we did not have the colors she had well then things were different after that!

I got my pruning tools went over and started to show her were she needed to prune out some dead branches with pests in them.:tools
I just played it :cool:
Soon it was like "here's a good cutting for you Joey, how about this one?":throw

Needless to say I left with a mess of cuttings. :rose

:lol: :gig

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
It is the oddest thing. When I pronounce the name Jacaranda it rolls off the tongue like I have used it before, like I know this name; yet, I have never in my life seen anything like that??? Wow.....Where Have I Been?

nsw_nr_jacaranda_bg.jpg

**borrowed image from internet

I have never seen one before. I remember when the movie came out with Robin Williams called "Where Dreams May Come", and there was this tree with this fantastic blue. I remember thinking to myself, Wow if this were a real plant instead of Movie Magic, then it would be incredible......and now....OMG, it is like finding out the tooth fairy was real :lol: (of course she is)

I love this, and I hope it takes well for you. We can definitely put this one on Ron's "Need" list, since his "Want" list is already full. <snickering> :cool:

Thanks for sharing, just do not show me Unicorns and Fairies!

Ron

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Injunjoe,

Here is a picture of your Flame Tree and the Jacaranda.

1958832-2-illawarra-flame-tree-and-jacaranda.jpg

*** picture borrowed from internet
Unbelievable .....I want to see this in someone's yard, I think they would call the cops on me for standing there for hours!:rolleyes:

Ron

injunjoe

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score

injunjoe

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I just noticed all the blooms on the ground! That is great.
Better then just a bunch of brown leaves, they don't turn colors here like up north they just fall off.

prism

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Oh my gosh! It's beautiful!! I want one! However, just looked for more info and they are only hardy from zone 9b to 11. I'm in zone 4, previously I lived in zone 5. No wonder I never saw this awesome tree before.

I'm sure you'll upload lots of pictures for us to drool over? ;)

Hope you'll keep us up to date on how it's rooting and growing too!

Latest posts