Jalapeno popper - YUM

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
The Mexican lady next door just showed me how to make jalapeno poppers. Boy are they good!

Crack a couple of eggs and seperate the whites and yolks. Use a whisk to whip the whites in a bowl till they are good and frothy. Now carefully fold in the yolks so you don't break up the froth.
Put some Japanese style bread crumbs (panko) in a bowl and mix in salt, pepper and finely powdered oregano leaf. The Japanese bread crumbs are much coarser than regular bread crumbs and just right for these.
Roast your jalapenos over the burner of your stove till the skin is evenly blackened and blistered. The Mexicans use a wire contraption on short legs that goes over your burner and make it easy. Oriental stores sell a contraption almost the same for blackening fish.
Now take a dull knife like a butter knife and scrape off the blackened skin. The roasting also makes your jalapenos flexible so the next step is easy. Split your jalapenos leaving them attached at the top and bottom; just a slit on one side long enough to get your cheese inside. Scrape out the seeds with something like a small spoon or if you want them hot leave the seeds in. Leaving the stem on gives you a handle for eating them with your fingers. Insert a sliver of cheese. You can use jack, chedar or one of the Mexican cheeses. Don't make the cheese sliver too big or the jalapeno won't close around it.
Dip the cheese stuffed jalapeno into the egg froth and roll in the bread crumbs.
Deep fry till golden brown in peanut oil or your favorite cooking oil.
Caution, don't make these when there is a football party going on unless you have a LOT of jalapenos. ;)

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
:clap Thank you, Hoodat. This sounds delicious. I'm copying this one down. :drool

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
journey11 said:
:clap Thank you, Hoodat. This sounds delicious. I'm copying this one down. :drool
Check it again. I made a couple of changes in the directions to make it clearer.

HLAC

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Sounds good! I'll have to try that. I have one of those Japanese fish grills. Never thought of using them for peppers.

I have some poblano peppers and jalapenos I have to do something with. Thanks for posting the recipe.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Thank you! I need to get some jalopenos from the farm stand, I'm OUT!

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
hoodat said:
journey11 said:
Check it again. I made a couple of changes in the directions to make it clearer.
Will do..

Hey, I saw one of those jalapeno roasting stands in a catalog just last night. It had legs and was shaped like a jalapeno too! LEM Products was the name of it, but I had never heard of them before. They had a lot of neat food prep tools in there.

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
If you want a milder cheese taste you can also stuff them with cream cheese with chopped chives in it. Cream cheese is also lower in fat but let's face it, you just deep fried them so let's not kid ourselves. :idunno