jalapenos

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
The only peppers that ever grew well for me where yellow Hungarian Hot Wax peppers. Of course, I can never find them around here anymore...LOL

davaroo

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
wifezilla said:
The only peppers that ever grew well for me where yellow Hungarian Hot Wax peppers. Of course, I can never find them around here anymore...LOL
Ahh, but you can find the seed on the internet :)

Broke Down Ranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I don't know about anywhere else but here I've had pretty good success with the jalapeno's. I have 6 of the TAM plants and 6 of the regular plants - picked peppers today and got half of a 5 gallon bucket from each type (this is my 2nd picking). Our soil is pretty heavy so I amended with lots of goat poop mixed with hay. I also made a raised bed that I *never* walk in and I keep it all very well watered. My peppers are doing very well this year.

obsessed

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Ok, so can anyone recommend so salsa worthy peppers?. I usually use serranos in my salsa because you can count on the kick of a serrano. I also like yellow peppers fried in some oil with lemon and salt with beans to taste.

The thing about chosing a pepper is that it is easy to be overwhelmed. I look through the varieties and get all confused and lost. It is like tomaotes.

Broke Down Ranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
It just depends how hot you want it. For flavor with a little bite you can't go wrong with the jalapeno. If you like it hotter then throw in a habanero. Personally, I don't care too much for the serrano simply because there is more heat than flavor. Habanero's are too hot for me but if combined with a TAM jalapeno you can have the pepper flavor with the heat. If you like it really mild then use mostly bell peppers and New Mexico green chile's. A new pepper I have tried this year is the corno di toro - it's an Italian sweet pepper that is much like the bell only the walls are not as thick and there is no bitter aftertaste (I actually like it a lot)....

davaroo

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
obsessed said:
Ok, so can anyone recommend so salsa worthy peppers?. I usually use serranos in my salsa because you can count on the kick of a serrano. I also like yellow peppers fried in some oil with lemon and salt with beans to taste.

The thing about chosing a pepper is that it is easy to be overwhelmed. I look through the varieties and get all confused and lost. It is like tomaotes.
Salsa's are about the melding of flavor combinations. No one flavor should overpower the other.
I select jalapeno's for this purpose, because they have the pepper bite - but also the flavor.

I prefer what the Mexicans call Salsa Bandera, 'salsa cruda' or 'pico de gallo.' Jalapenos are just right for this.

obsessed

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Davroo - I totally dig the pico del gallo but never want to spend the time chopping. I usually make my salsa by putting everything in a cast iron pan and letting them "roast". Everything includes garlic (a lot), onion, tomatoes or tomatillo, cilantro (sometimes yes somtimes no) and peppers (Serrano or Jalapeno). Then I just blend them. Then salt and pepper to taste. When I use the Jalapeno it is usually mild enough for my 4 year old to eat. Mild being relative though cause he likes it spicy.

davaroo

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
obsessed said:
Davroo - I totally dig the pico del gallo but never want to spend the time chopping. I usually make my salsa by putting everything in a cast iron pan and letting them "roast". Everything includes garlic (a lot), onion, tomatoes or tomatillo, cilantro (sometimes yes somtimes no) and peppers (Serrano or Jalapeno). Then I just blend them. Then salt and pepper to taste. When I use the Jalapeno it is usually mild enough for my 4 year old to eat. Mild being relative though cause he likes it spicy.
The term Spanish term 'cruda' means raw or rough - no cooking. I think I like the sound of yours, though. It strikes me as something very complex for the roasting step you add.
What I'm usually after is a relish, as opposed to a sauce. Something like a fresh chutney; that's what pico de gallo is*. I just put all the ingredients:

Tomatoes - 1 part
Onion - 1/2 part
Garlic - 1/8 part
Cilantro - 1/8 part (ALWAYS include cilantro)
Jalapenos- 1/4 part
lime juice and salt

...into a food processor and pulse it a few times.
These are not cast in stone, and the proportions vary. I may use canned tomatoes, or chipotle peppers.
But they are immutable - leaving any of them out only leaves you with excuses.

* I've been told that some Mexicans call this, Salsa Bandera, or "flag salsa," because of the colors: red (tomatoes), green (chiles/cilatro) and white (onions) - like the Mexican flag. :)

"Pico de Gallo" means 'roosters beak', which has yet to be explained to me by any native latino. It seems no one knows why... :idunno

Latest posts