Jared77's Gardening Journal

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Haha NYboy! Yellowstone...:lol:

Ditto on the Prariefire crab! Great little tree. And Forest Pansy redbuds are beautiful! They're too marginal at my place or I would for sure have one.

I can vouch for October Glory maple too. it has fantastic fall color. Great choices Jared!

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
You'll not regret those purchases, I'm sure. You'll be enjoying them for many years to come. Very smart planning out your trees first too. Get the "bones" of your landscaping in place. Can't wait to see pics. :)

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Yellowstone!!!! I wish!!!!!

We had to measure to be sure the plum wouldn't overlap the weeping cherry. They are offset from one another a fair bit but I still wanted to be sure we were not shoehorning them together. Yes we want them but not at the cost of overall design. We won't sacrifice the design just to have something. At that point it goes from design to collection (which is fine) but that's not what we want here.

The redbud we know is fine where it replaces the dead cherry sprig, and the prairie fire crab was measured to not be too close to the deck or the power lines when it matures.

My wife and I joked that the one tree we really should measure for was the one we didn't measure. We have the room so it was more of "once we figure out what we want it will go....oh about here" ;). I have some temporary plastic T posts that I use as markers for training that became our "tree trunks" as well as marked out the veg garden.

Journey your absolutely right we want to "get the bones in" now. There is an idea here. Yes it evolves as we research but overall there is a direction we're trying to steer our place towards.

I'm sure my neighbors have to think I'm completely off the reservation because I'll leave them up for a bit only to move them later. I left them up now so I know where to put what once we get it. But for the time being it does look a little odd here with what appears to be random white poles scattered about the property!

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Jared, I've had trouble deciding just where to plant something in its forever home to the point that I have a few large trees still growing in their pots. DH insists I should keep all my larger plants in pots on wheels so he can move them for me.

Perhaps I'll post photos of some of my "still in pots" purchases. Or should they go on the gardening mistakes thread? Hum-m-m.

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
image.jpg

The one bright spot in our yard. Hurray for the Cleveland Pear!

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
That tree is HUGH! How are you gonna pick those pears? I guess I'm just used to my semi-dwarf trees that are kept short.

Mary

TheSeedObsesser

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Cleveland pears are ornamental, the pears usually won't get any wider than a nickel. There are plenty of Cleveland pears around my area, you could probably spot at least one tree about every five miles in some places. Jared's seems to be a particularly fine specimen from how well it is flowering, likely pretty old.

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Yes it forked at the base. It's hard to see but they merge just at ground level and both trunks are about the same diameter which makes it VERY sturdy.

It's an ornamental variety. They are fairly popular around here too. It's fruits are about the size of a cherry too. They stay green and will fall off in winter or early spring depending on the weather. It's a very pretty pure white although the picture doesn't really do it justice.

No idea on the age but it's under 20 years since the house was built in 1998. We had a 2nd one but we lost it in an ice storm last December. It had multiple trunks that looked more like a lilac than a tree and was shorter but thicker and I wasn't surprised to see an issue with it.

It did open the front up for better landscaping though so instead of being mad we lost it I'm excited about what opportunities we now have. If we had to lose one this was the one to lies because of it's location.

I did pick up a Newport Flowering Plum for Mothers Day which is a REAL eye catcher and will be a beautiful contrast to the weeping cherry that is going closer to the house. It was part of the plan but we had not put our money down in it. I haven't planted it yet because I knew DW would want to see "the whole picture" before planting anything so until I get the Crabapple and the weeping cherry it's going to have to stay in the pot. It's already beginning to leaf out and I hope this week or next to go get the others we've already purchased.

I promise more pics as soon as I can get them all home and in the ground. Given the current prices on sugar maples we may end up getting that this fall or possibly even next year. Although I'd love to have it now though as we desperately need the shade.

Latest posts