Jared77's Gardening Journal

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Nice place, Jared! You have neighbors nearby, but still a lot of breathing room. Looks like a nice neighborhood too. I think it's awesome to have a blank slate to work with...all the possibilities! It will take awhile to build it up to what you want, I'm sure. Trees and such take awhile to fill in.

I printed an aerial picture of my property from Google earth and used it to map out my yard all to scale. You can look at where you want to put everything and consider where the sunlight falls, property lines and such.

Looking forward to seeing it all come together! Yay for pics! :D

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
What fun! A lovely home- and so many wonderful spots for gardens!! Can hardly wait to see your progress!

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Uh, oh. Mary is gonna see all this open space!

You need that program that P Allen Smith uses on "Garden Home." The thing where people send in a picture of their homes and he does that 30 seconds of drawing and even that makes it look nice!

Me? I'd just go for raw dirt 6 months out of the year with a few odd outbuildings - odder the better.

You sir, are going to have fun!

Steve
Yes Steve, you are so right. I just love all of the open spaces that a lot of you have. It seems so peaceful to me. I somethimes dream of how my chickens would have a free range or a large run, a big garden, and small orchard.

Maybe I should sell this million dollar home that really doesn't look like a million o_O and buy 10 acreas elsewhere. But my kids and grandchildren are here and I wouldn't be able to leave them. Plus my husband is too much of a city guy. I don't think he would go for it. :(

Mary

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
When you retire, Mary, Jared might have a quarter acre to share with you.

You could pile into your ol' dodge pickup at dawn, all your tools in the back with the picnic lunch, and head off into the sunrise! An early lunch can be enjoyed in the shade of whatever fruit tree Jared has closest to your diggings. The last hour it's pretty hot out there so you'd better not forget to grab your harvest early and refill that lunch cooler. Besides, you'll want to be heading home to that shower before the sun gets too low and in your eyes on the horizon.

Plenty of time to enjoy that garden fresh dinner on your own patio. Jared has the sprinklers on automatic so you won't have to worry about that . . .

Steve

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Wonderful place you have @Jared77 , and congrats on the great deal!
Wow, the damage I could do with 3 acres of sunshine! :eek:

As you, I would enjoy all the planning, and the hard part is 'one step at a time' and the waiting. I know it's a lot harder with young children. It will be fun to see it all come together!

My favorite, and most carefree, constant blooming rose is 'Bonica', if you can find one give it a look when you start your rose garden. My kids grew up with a pool also, it was one of the best purchases we ever made! The decision to take it out or not is becoming difficult. :\

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
No puppies right now thank you. A 10 yr old Golden and a 6 yr old Golden are enough thank you. My wife's hinted that our next dog might be a greyhound rescue but we're a 2 dog house. I've had as many as 4 at a time and it's just too much with the kids.

I don't spend NEARLY as much time training as I used to. Every once I a while I miss it but for the most part I'm too busy enjoying my kids to even miss training.

Besides it means training birds, and training birds means building a pigeon loft and caring for that much more. Already looking at doing rabbits in the next year or 2 for my daughter to do 4H with too. So add a trio of rabbits in hutches plus grow out pens. But I do welcome the rabbit poop!!

Was nice out yesterday so my wife and I did some more talking and walking around planning things out. The weather seriously needs to change so I can get started here I'm starting to get really chomp at the bit here!

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Well I figured it was high time for an update.

Our favorite nursery was having an open house. Live music, free food, etc. So of course we get suckered into going. So we get there and they have a sign up that says the food and music was donated and being performed and served by the Hospice House of Lansing. Here's where they got us. With a $5 donation to Hospice House of Lansing you will get 10% off your total purchase! Good cause great plants it's a win-win right?

Well they got us good. We ended up buying a weeping cherry and a prairie fire crabapple tree for the house. Still have to pick them up but they are ours. We were able to get a 7ft crabapple instead of a 4ft tree because of the discount.

So needless to say I'm grinning ear to ear we are finally able to put some anchor pieces on our property.

We didn't buy but came home and measured out locations (and found they will fit) for a Forest Pansy Redbud to replace the Walmart purchased flowering cherry whip sized tree that didn't make it from the previous owners. I tried to save it last summer but it fizzled out. My wife is a big fan of that.

We also measured out and found that the Newport plum tree that I fell in love with will fit exactly where I had hoped it would.

We're still unsure of what shade tree we're going to plant. Still looking at maples maybe an October Glory or a Catalpa tree. Maybe something else but we need a nice shade tree with a respectable canopy. Anyway that's where things are at here.

Pictures will be posted as soon as I get them planted.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Dude your yard is the size of yellowstone, you had to measure for trees. Teasing aside great choice on prairie crab, I have one, spring its a cloud of flowers, great fall color, winter small apples the birds love.

Latest posts