Jerusalem Artichockes

RDRANCH

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Is it unusual for Jerusalem Artichokes to not be in bloom yet?

I got one plant last year from my mother in law and planted in a raised bed. Due to several circumstances last year there really wasn't a garden in that area but the plant did get water when I remembered.

Early last spring while getting thins ready for a garden this year i dug up nine thumb sized pieces of root and replanted them in the 3'x4' bed.

I know these plants thirve under poor conditions, but have I been doing something bad by keeping them watered, weeded and fed? The plants are approaching seven feet tall but no blooms.

Is it time for some tuff love?:idunno

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I am also in Colorado and mine didn't bloom either. Mine are shaded though. What is the sun situation at your place?

Mine has been going in a patch for years. I never harvest. They just keep an otherwise bare spot a bit green.

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
They bloom best late Summer to early Fall. Giving them regular garden care will only make them thrive more. They can stand a lot of neglect but appreciate care.

RDRANCH

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
They are mostly in full sun but are shaded a little in the morning and in the evening. I guess it's everything else in this years garden, a little on the slow side to develope.

Thanks for the input!:)

RDRANCH

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Well 3 weeks later there are blooms starting to form and the plants are nine feet tall! Can't wait to see to tubers this fall!:fl

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
The birds will also appreciate the seeds. It's a native American plant related to the sunflower.

RDRANCH

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Thats good to know as we have been bone dry in the rain department and they have already eaten all the crabapples and everything else that looks good. I wonder if this means we are going to have a cold snowy winter. We are due for it!:)

GPN

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
:D Post some pictures please, now of the plant and later for the flower please!

damummis

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
6693_new_chicks_8-10_001.jpg

Here is a pic of my plants that shade the coops.

Latest posts