Jerusalem Artichokes Question need help

RidgebackRanch

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
:DHi Thistlebloom,
As i started digging them up I noticed that some were smaller individual pieces and some were very large knobby monsters. The smaller one were planted two or three to a one gallon nursery container and the large ones were broken up into smaller pieces and planted.

The pieces that I broke up I let dry in the sun for a few hours to let the exposed part dry a bit. As for the soil I used it was last years planting mix recycled from DW's large pots (it gets used for something every year) some homemade hore manure compost and soil from the garden. I would guess it worked out to nearly equal parts of all three. In that mix I added a little bone meal and a small dose of starter fertillizer (all organic of course).

Before planting in the pots I like to moisten the soil mix. The tubers are then planted about 3-4 inches deep and the pots are then placed on the south side of the house to be protected from our wonderful drying winds and kept a little on the moist side. The first pots showed growth poking up after about 2 weeks.

I guess by the time I am done digging and planting there should be nearly a hundred pots, so most will go to the farmers market and the rest will be given to friends and my clients.

As for eating so far the only way I have tried is raw and I love'em. This weekend we are going to fool around with cooking them. I like the idea of roasting and boiling with potatoes. it that does not work out thats ok because I really love the taste and texture of them raw.

Hope this helps.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thanks Ridgeback, I like them raw too, but my DH (who likes raw potatoes :sick ) didn't like them, so I sauted them, but that was passable for me and only slightly so for him.
Do you raise Ridgebacks, or do you live on a ridge?
Just curious...:)

RidgebackRanch

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
The name comes from that cute knucklehead my avatar. Ruger will be 7 months old soon and has 5 acres, 2 ten year labs, 2 horses and a goat to keep him busy. The big goal now is training him to stay out of the garden! :lol:

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
So Rugers a Ridgeback? I really like the breed, and wanted one, but we need a dog with more coat, as all ours are outdoor only. (Well, they do get to come in and visit, as a treat. )

RidgebackRanch

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Well we tried the 'chokes several ways this weekend and the results are in.
Boiled: Left the skin on, Cut into 1" pieces. They cooked quickly-about 15 minutes-and they were ok with a little salt, pepper and butter.
Sauteed: Sliced them about 1/8" skin on, cooked in some olive oil and a little butter. The flavor was a little better.
Raw: we liked that best.

DW said "They are not bad, or good, they just are". I agree, they have a unique flavor that is best when used with other things. I don't think they are a stand alone ingredient but and interesting flavor and crunch when used as a minor ingredient to whatever dish you are preparing.

That being said they are stil going to be a fixture in the garden, and I found a spot where they can roam free! :thumbsup

RidgebackRanch

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Well I took 9 containers to the farmers market today. I printed off labels and put them on the pots with the common and latin names along with some growing tips. I told the owner of the market he could have them for free and if things went well we would decide on a price for the other 60 pots.

I am thinking charging $5.00 each to them and they should sell them for $10.00, any thoughts on that anybody?

:idunno

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I think thats"s a very fair price RR. I see them advertised for $6 a pound, and that's just the tubers, not potted up.
Let us know how they do. I like that you printed up info on them, that's a very good selling point.

RidgebackRanch

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
THe potted plants did not go over well at the farmers market. I think because it is just not something you would see for sale at most garden centers that people are not familiar with them.
That being said there are about 50 more pots that are long for this world, and headed for the chicken run.

Still going to try it agian next year though, it was a fun project and a good learning experience. Glad I tried!:)

damummis

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Have you tried them pickled? YUMMM!!!

Latest posts