Journey11's 2011 Garden - large rudbeckia with red halo, post #38

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
We've really enjoyed the little guys. It's been a neat experience. They are very soft!

I hate thinking about them growing up though. :/ We'll just enjoy them while we can. :)

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
We got a break from the rain today. The thunderstorm they were predicting never came.

So I worked outside all day and got my kitchen herb garden in and planted all my dahlias and tall snapdragons (interspersed in the back of the same bed). I put all of my herbs in there, just about every herb I could think of to plant, except thyme, because I forgot the thyme. But I'll pick some up and use it to fill in around the paths and stepping stones.

This is the first year that I planted all of my culinary herbs really close to the house. I can be cooking and just hop out the back porch and grab whatever I want to throw in the pot. You wouldn't believe how many things I've had burn or boil over as I got sidetracked on my way to the big garden. :lol:

I am really psyched about this bed and can't wait to see it fill out. If it keeps on raining, I think this at least got a little bit of garden anxiety out of my system. (They're calling for another straight week of RAIN.)

I'm really happy with how it turned out! :weee I'll post pics tomorrow!

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Just wanted to show you guys how big my rudbeckia got this year. It's so big and bright, you can really see it from the road. I'm watching the ones that came up from seed this year and if they come out looking like the original, I'll be sure to save some for you guys. I've had several relatives and neighbors beg me to save them some seed too. It makes tons of teensy little seeds!

IMGP4391_web.jpg

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oooo.... those are gorgeous Journey? Do you know which kind they are? I grew some like that one year but they didn't come back, and I found out they are not hardy here. I have a couple of other types of black eyed susans, but I love the dark brown splotches in yours.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Those look fabulous! I really enjoy black eyed susans. I dug up some for a friend last year- assuring him nothing could kill a black eyed susan- yeah, well apparently he can!! I have noticed interesting changes with my gloriosa daisies,over the years. Some of them changed color patterns and some of them are double petals now. Nature is so cool! If you are like me, it won't be long before you have clumps of those beauties all over your yard! Enjoy!

Latest posts