Joy in the Little Things

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
My joy in the simple things. Two of my granddaughters holding an hours old lamb.

IMG_5625.jpeg

Dahlia

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I got this basket from H&M with less than 9Euros (winter sales), my original intention is to use it without the lid for baking goods like cookies or mini cup cakes in the cafe.

I also like to buy bed sheets during winter/summer sales - it's much cheaper than buying cotton fabrics. So, I collected some good ones at very low prices, for my future sewing/quilting projects.
View attachment 63030

And then, when I read the recipe book from Thomas Keller last night, I saw something familiar!
View attachment 63031

Cake and Fruit to-go, a luxurious transformation done with cake trimmings, some whipped cream, and the fruits from the veggie/fruit bags from Lidl. They taste great, and I will use them as products in the cafe, too.
View attachment 63032

View attachment 63033
That cake and fruit to go in a cup looks amazing! You could even claim that it was healthy!

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
In the beginning, I just wanted to add some fresh fruit into the cake roll and took one orange. As usual, there are always a lot of oranges in the 3Euro bags we get from Lidl. The cake roll turns out great with the combination of green tea batter and orange cream+fresh orange.
15758.jpg

I peeled the orange outer skin to make orange vinegar (for cleaning), the white skins will go to fridge (smells great), and a little bit juice.
15756.jpg

At the end, I processed all oranges we got last week and created several nice things from them.
15755.jpg

The major treat is the fresh juice, but I also made marmalade (with earl grey tea) from the orange flesh. All the peels will be dried in the boiler room and soaked in the white vinegar later. White parts also reported on duty in our two fridges, and would end up in the compost tomorrow. I believe that I can call this 'no waste.' :D
15757.jpg

Dahlia

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
In the beginning, I just wanted to add some fresh fruit into the cake roll and took one orange. As usual, there are always a lot of oranges in the 3Euro bags we get from Lidl. The cake roll turns out great with the combination of green tea batter and orange cream+fresh orange.
View attachment 63441

I peeled the orange outer skin to make orange vinegar (for cleaning), the white skins will go to fridge (smells great), and a little bit juice.
View attachment 63442

At the end, I processed all oranges we got last week and created several nice things from them.
View attachment 63443

The major treat is the fresh juice, but I also made marmalade (with earl grey tea) from the orange flesh. All the peels will be dried in the boiler room and soaked in the white vinegar later. White parts also reported on duty in our two fridges, and would end up in the compost tomorrow. I believe that I can call this 'no waste.' :D
View attachment 63444
You are so creative!

Branching Out

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
In the beginning, I just wanted to add some fresh fruit into the cake roll and took one orange. As usual, there are always a lot of oranges in the 3Euro bags we get from Lidl. The cake roll turns out great with the combination of green tea batter and orange cream+fresh o
View attachment 63444
I had a coworker who would candy strips of orange peel and then dip half of the strip in chocolate-- they were so yummy. She said they were cooked and drained several times, before cooking in a sugar syrup. This short video shows how to candy thin slices of orange, and they are so pretty. This technique apparently works well for lemon slices too. Citrus in winter is so sublime!

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I had a coworker who would candy strips of orange peel and then dip half of the strip in chocolate-- they were so yummy. She said they were cooked and drained several times, before cooking in a sugar syrup. This short video shows how to candy thin slices of orange, and they are so pretty. This technique apparently works well for lemon slices too. Citrus in winter is so sublime!
Yes, I usually did such sweets once per year. They are very pretty and welcome.
36599.jpg

36656.jpg

SPedigrees

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Dried lemon and orange peels - they smell like heaven and are ready for soaking into vinegar (to make natural cleaning agent).
View attachment 63648
Love my tools (for a food surgeon? :lol: )
View attachment 63649
With or without the dried citrus peels, vinegar is a powerful cleaning agent. I use it a lot. The vinegar bath is my go-to for washing fruits and vegetables. It's not as potent as bleach obviously, but it is nonetheless anti-bacterial in nature. Berries soaked in vinegar, rinsed, died, and refrigerated don't mold/mildew the way untreated berries do, and the vinegar treated berries don't disintegrate the way sugared berries do. (Sugar also possessing powerful anti-bacterial properties.)

That's quite an arsenal of tools, Phaedra!

Latest posts