Joy in the Little Things

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I am gonna study up on this invasiveness. I LOVE ASPARAGUS!! It would be great to start a larger patch of it, and I DON'T CARE IF IT SPREADS!
Funny, on the panelists on Mid American Gardener, who lives in the Illinois, admitted that she planted aspen and ended up with a forest. Apparently aspen LOVE our climate SO MUCH that they share.

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Sunshine! Just about two hours~
784.jpg

Frost-hardy variety spinach germinated after two weeks
786.jpg

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
1669210751638.png

Art thou gone?—then fare thee well!
Many a good do I remember
Of thee, that I fain would tell;
Many a dream beyond all trouble;
Many a feast where beer did bubble;
Many a jolly beauty toasted;
Many a mighty turkey roasted.

–Bryan Walker Procter, English poet (1787–1874)

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
View attachment 53604
Art thou gone?—then fare thee well!
Many a good do I remember
Of thee, that I fain would tell;
Many a dream beyond all trouble;
Many a feast where beer did bubble;
Many a jolly beauty toasted;
Many a mighty turkey roasted.

–Bryan Walker Procter, English poet (1787–1874)
Those wordings reminded me of the days in the university - two semesters of Shakespeare. :D

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
This year, I transplanted five artichokes (grown from seeds) to different locations in the garden. Only the one in the newly-built raised bed thrives, and the rest four all look sad. I guess the main reason is they didn't get enough water. The one in the new raised bed enjoys sufficient water as it's in the focal position.

Well, sometimes you succeed, and sometimes you don't. However, after the high and dry summer passed, those four started showing their resilience and growth. The below one is transplanted near the border, where I seldom water. It gradually became a tough plant.

I will need to do more planting and mulching in this area next week.
793.jpg

Last edited:

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I made some garlic cubes with chili, scallion, and coriander. Those ingredients (and also ginger) are widely and commonly used in my daily cooking, mainly sauté.
879.jpg

A bit tedious, but it can save a lot of time in the future.
843.jpg

One cube is sufficient for adding fragrance and flavors to countless dishes.
880.jpg

(As garlic is the main ingredient, maybe they are also effective for casting vampires away?)
878.jpg

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
when i have extra garlic that is starting to sprout and grow roots in the middle of the winter then i will take that and trim off the growing parts and put it through the meat grinder, dowse it with some lemon or lime juice and then freeze it. will keep for years in a well sealed container. i haven't had extra garlic the past few years so i've not had to do this.

the time peeling the garlic is done long before so that isn't a big issue with this later garlic. and if for some reason i haven't had time to peel it by the time it starts to grow and put out roots it shrinks a little and that also makes it easier to peel.

the very first seed swap i went to i had a bunch of small jars of garlic frozen and in a cooler so i could give them away, we needed the freezer space and i wanted to get rid of those jars anyways. worked out nice. one person from the first seed swap that i gave that to thanked me again at the 2nd seed swap a year later.