Jumping worms??

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I had a chance to test that concept first hand, when I lived in San Diego. Roaches got into our home twice; once when a new neighbor moved into the complex where we lived, and once when we inadvertently brought them in with some used furniture. When we first identified them, I would set out bait on the floor before going to bed, then set my alarm for 3 AM. All lights in that area were off. I would wake up, go down with the bug spray, turn on the light, and kill any roaches before they could scuttle for cover. We were able to stop the infestation both times.

i didn't use any poisons i could smush them where i baited them. unfortunately i'm pretty sure people were using bug bombs when other people were in the building. i woke up with my eyes burning.

i could get rid of them from my apartment but they'd come in from the neighbors or fall out of the ceiling from the dude upstairs. i was enough of a night owl then that it wasn't any problem for me to do it.

The same process did not work when I lived in the Philippines. The much larger roaches there were everywhere, and no matter how many we killed, more moved in from the surrounding area. I couldn't use poison there, because the land lord had free-roaming cats... but I did place bait on the floor, with a large piece of plywood leaning against the wall next to it. Waking in the middle of the night, I would turn on the light, and quickly smash any roaches with the plywood. The cats learned to anticipate this, and would quickly devour the dead & injured.

haha! i've never heard of cats eating bugs like that but i guess if they were hungry enough and those bigger tropical roaches probably had some good fats in them. :)

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I had a chance to test that concept first hand, when I lived in San Diego. Roaches got into our home twice; once when a new neighbor moved into the complex where we lived, and once when we inadvertently brought them in with some used furniture. When we first identified them, I would set out bait on the floor before going to bed, then set my alarm for 3 AM. All lights in that area were off. I would wake up, go down with the bug spray, turn on the light, and kill any roaches before they could scuttle for cover. We were able to stop the infestation both times.

The same process did not work when I lived in the Philippines. The much larger roaches there were everywhere, and no matter how many we killed, more moved in from the surrounding area. I couldn't use poison there, because the land lord had free-roaming cats... but I did place bait on the floor, with a large piece of plywood leaning against the wall next to it. Waking in the middle of the night, I would turn on the light, and quickly smash any roaches with the plywood. The cats learned to anticipate this, and would quickly devour the dead & injured.
Roaches are always my nightmares, until I became a mother. After being a mother, I have to stand in front of my daughter when there was one on the way.

Turning on the light in the kitchen at night was a traumatic thing when I was about 10 years old, especially we lived next to a huge farmer's market.

So, I am so glad to get rid of such creatures now, don't know why, there are no roaches here.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Roaches are always my nightmares, until I became a mother. After being a mother, I have to stand in front of my daughter when there was one on the way.

Turning on the light in the kitchen at night was a traumatic thing when I was about 10 years old, especially we lived next to a huge farmer's market.

So, I am so glad to get rid of such creatures now, don't know why, there are no roaches here.

cold weather and you're a very clean person.

if you have any roaches that show up it will be from something you've brought in from the grocery store. when i lived in the south sometimes i could find live ones inside boxes and in the creases of boxes and bags.

Latest posts