June 19th

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score

149 years ago today: the U.S. Army forced slave-holders in Texas to finally released their slaves.

The Confederate army surrendered on April 9th, over 2 months earlier.

Steve

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
And here I thought June Teenth was only a regional holiday! June Teenth is a big deal here in Texas, we really know how to celebrate our backwardness, even 149 years later! BBQ is the order of the day, along with watermelon, red crème soda and all the other side dishes of a BBQ party. It may be a distasteful reminder to some, but it is cause for celebration, family get togethers, good food, and a good time. Mostly celebrated by black folks, but some whites tossed into the mix too.

Years ago, when working in a large manufacturing facility, I was a machine operator. For the whole week of June Teenth, a black fork lift operator would buy me and him a red crème soda so I could help him celebrate. It just so happens I hate red crème soda, but I smiled and drank it like it was the best thing I ever had. Another machine operator, a black lady would watch in delight because she knew how much I couldn't stand red crème soda. After the refreshing soda, much laughing and general small talk, the fork lift driver would go back to work. My friend, watching my agony, would burst into laughter and rib me the rest of the day.

Since June Teenth comes mid week, probably most of the celebrations will take place this weekend. I read an article how June Teenth is catching on in some other states. Who knows? Maybe us backward rednecks can contribute a new holiday to people who otherwise would not consider it cause for celebration.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
I've taught my students about June Teenth, but never heard of it being 'celebrated' around here. I think a celebration is certainly in order.

There are more festivities tied to "The Emancipation Proclamation" here. Despite it being a famous document, most do not know Lincoln's effort freed only the slaves in the succeeding states which didn't consider USA orders legal in the Confederate states anyway. The slaves in the North were not affected by the order.

June 19th ended the legal practice of slavery in America.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Many slaves in the seceding states got the message.

". . . over 500,000 slaves had escaped to the North." (link)

Steve