Just bought our first fruit trees

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
My husband kept bring it up, and I kept thinking about it too. Then I remembered my arborday.org membership, so I bought some trees today...

Just need to WAIT :/

They'll come between now and May 7th! :rolleyes:

Lodi Apples
http://www.arborday.org/Shopping/Trees/TreeDetail.cfm?id=61

Red Jonathon
http://www.arborday.org/Shopping/Trees/TreeDetail.cfm?id=67

Early Golden Apricots
http://www.arborday.org/Shopping/Trees/TreeDetail.cfm?id=100

Now hubby gets to pick out some grapes... This is very own to take care of those. I can't believe I got him interested in this!

rebbetzin

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
A couple of years ago some friends gave me a peach tree they grew from a seed. They said they had one that was producing fruit that they grew from a seed. So.. I planted it in the back garden.
This year it bloomed for the first time....

But... the blooms were nothing I had ever seen before!! They were about an inch long with spikes on them!!

Very odd, I took a branch to the local University Extension Garden, the Master Gardener on duty didn't know what it was. I then took it down to the University here and the fellow there knew at just a glance what it was...

A Willow Tree!!! a Coyote Willow, I forgot the latin name he told me.

so... now I am going to cut down this tree that is almost 7 ft tall and about 6 inches around at the base of the trunk. I do not need a willow drinking up all the water in the back garden!!

DrakeMaiden

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Grapes are cool. Do some research on what variety you want before you get one. You can propagate them fairly easily, so you can always expand from just one plant. Just remember your husband will have to build support structures for them.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
DrakeMaiden said:
Grapes are cool. Do some research on what variety you want before you get one. You can propagate them fairly easily, so you can always expand from just one plant. Just remember your husband will have to build support structures for them.
Oh yes, he's very excited to the point we have a winery just a mile from here and he's taking pointers from them. He's even going to copy their grape fields, which he thinks are so pretty. We both wonder if thats how it is driving through sanoma co. Cali. We've both never been to california.... though we both have a passion for Italy, where he has been.

We just have too much yard, I never thought I'd say that... but I like to utilize things, and I'm an outdoor living kind of person. Its like we have to have something to do or something to grow on every foot of it! ;)

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
rebbetzin said:
A Willow Tree!!! a Coyote Willow, I forgot the latin name he told me.

so... now I am going to cut down this tree that is almost 7 ft tall and about 6 inches around at the base of the trunk. I do not need a willow drinking up all the water in the back garden!!
I can't IMAGINE how a willow of any kind could survive in Az?! How would she even gotten that?!

Now I'm scared to see in a couple of years that my japanese maple isn't that at all?! Its only 2' tall right now. I'm pretty sure it is, it was a nice home warming gift from a man who runs a nursery who's friends with my mom. I really doubt he would have gotten it wrong. :/ I guess you can never know though....

...a willow? I'm still in shock!

homesteadmom

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
smom1976 said:
how could a willow have come from a peach seed? :idunno
Might have been used as the graft tree?

We are getting concord grapes this yr, maybe green & red too, but for now we are starting with concords fr jam & juice & maybe a little wine. I am starting with 2 vines & see how they go.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
That's a bummer guys :(

I was thrilled to get the apricots... they won't ship those to SC, but NC wasn't an issue thank goodness. I love to dry appricots.

Latest posts