Just curious.

coopy

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I am wondering if anyone still plants crops by the signs? By the signs I mean the signs of the moon. My grandfather and father planted their gardens this way. I can't remember all the signs. Was just curious if anyone ever did this anymore.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
I tried that a little this year, am waiting to see if that works better. How does one really know, when the seasons are so unpredictable? My vegetables could be more proliferant because of more adequate rainfall or the added nutrients to the soil....I think I would have to keep accurate records for many years in order to differentiate between planting by the moon phases or mere coincidence! :)

yardfarmer

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I was experiencing difficulty getting carrots to sprout so I tried planting by moon phase last year. The carrots planted during waning grew better than carrots planted during waxing phase. I'm convinced that it makes a difference.

All planting this year was done by moon phase using the calendar on the website below.

http://www.amagickgarden.com/pages/amgpages/amgcalendar.html

Tutter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Oh yes, I plant at the full moon when possible, and things do sprout faster. Whether that's the pull, or the light, I don't know, but never argue with success, or something that makes my life easier. :)

blurose

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Wow, I must have been hiding under a rock all of my life. I've actually never heard of such a concept. Sounds very interesting and retro. I'll have to further investigate this. Thank you for mentioning it. :)

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
My grandfather still does that to this day. Unfortunately, I don't remember everything he has taught me and luckily still have a chance to learn more.

Seeing that I usually am back in the gardens well after 9pm most of the week, I guess I'm planting near full moons and such!

coopy

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
If anyone knows the jest of it all please share with the rest of us. I don't know much about it. Would like to know more.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
All I was ever told was to plant root crops in the dark of the moon and seed crops by the light of the moon. I think there is much more to it but my family never did this so I haven't learned all the ins and outs!

Tutter??? :)

Grow 4 Food

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I follow / plant things by the winters to know when what goes in the ground. Like Dogwood winter, Blackberry winters and Red Bud. These 3 tell me when to plant which things to keep them safe from freezes.

Hobby

coopy

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Grow 4 Food said:
I follow / plant things by the winters to know when what goes in the ground. Like Dogwood winter, Blackberry winters and Red Bud. These 3 tell me when to plant which things to keep them safe from freezes.

Hobby
I don't understand. I have never heard of this before. Can you explain futher. I have heard of planting by the light and dark of the moon.

Latest posts