Just like Licking a Stamp

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Is email becoming a thing of the past?

I think my friend may just be winding down because of olde age but he said the last time he checked his email was 13 days ago! Something I sent him 3 days prior to that - he wasn't able to find even after checking "junk, trash & spam" folders! I think he is just winding down, like I said -- claims that he gets "distracted" playing solitaire before he gets to his email. Oh, My!

DD claims she uses email very little. Okay. She is a kid and wanders thru her days and nights looking at her phone . . . she is now
"in management" and I guess it works for that, too. I just use it to talk to my kids . . .

I don't think the olde fellow knows how to use text and was a little dismayed that an olde friend who always remembers to send me a birthday card -- still hasn't found the Starbucks gift card I sent him . . .

Steve

edited: oh, that reminds me! what is the "deal" with TEG's PM subject line being shortened to 4 characters?!

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Texting has replaced email. Really the same thing, just different electronic machine to send it with.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Isn't that hard to believe, that email is out of style? Some of my "friends" will not take the time to keep up with me unless it is through Facebook. I had put off getting FB for a long time, until I was talked into it... What a mistake, now I feel like I can't get rid of the dang thing without everyone taking me for a hermit. I find it somewhat offensive really, that everyone just wants to broadcast themselves at random instead of taking the time to write a personal note. I mean really--how hard is it...how much time does it take to shoot off an email to someone? :/

And then people get all weird about whether or not you click "like" on what they post. They get mad and think you're not paying attention to them if you don't! Who has time to read all that stuff? I had a couple of acquaintances go so far as to unfriend me when I was on my year-long internet sabbatical because they thought I wasn't paying attention to them. Facebook makes me feel more ANTI-social. SMH!!

And texting, don't even get me started on texting. I guess my thumbs must not be all that agile, because I don't have enough time in my day to twiddle out a couple lines and I refuse to communicate with bad spelling and grammar. LOL I took my brother morel hunting a couple years ago and his stupid phone kept beeping (all the way out there!) because his dumb girlfriend was texting him back and forth. He'd stop hiking and text back. So much for a little tranquility...or trying to enjoy the peace and quiet of the woods. Needless to say he didn't find many mushrooms!! Pick up the dang phone and just CALL HER. :rant

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
Journey, my sister is currently not speaking to me because she had sent me a message on FB about some weekend plans. I didn't reply... because I didn't bother to check it for a week or so - and so the cookout happened without her. The worst part is that when I did finally see her message, part of what she said was something like 'LOL heaven forbid that I actually CALL you - ha ha"
Call me if you need me to answer a question.... ya think?

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Many of my family/friends use Facebook. I have an account (had to to see family pictures) but I don't go on. Most realize I don't use it. Either email, text or call me. otherwise you don't want to communicate with me. Your choice.

Personally I like texting the best as it's fast, to the point and easy.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I am a little surprised that some people are not content, in a non-facebook world. I have all but forgotten how to participate on facebook. When I thought I had if figured out, they made some major changes about 5 years ago. They lost me immediately. Well, first they lost what I'd put on there for about a week. After that, I was upset and just let my contacts know that I wasn't there anymore. It seems to have worked out fine. I mean, people I barely know can still contact me since FB send an email.

It probably doesn't surprise anyone that there are plenty of oldsters who will not use anything digital, altho' they may expect others to do it for them in some sort of magical, effortless way. I almost feel as tho' I should apologize to them for the changes in technology but I've helped them enuf that an apology is a bridge too far. Change is a constant.

Many years ago, people would "drop in" on others on Sunday afternoons. The telephone changed that for better or worse as people came to expect that there would be some contact before a visit. Now, it seems, close friends and family are often in constant electronic contact.

I don't know if it is a bad thing or, just different. It looks to me like personality still comes thru and since I can still visit FB pages, I can recognize some of that in cousins that I haven't seen in decades. You know what? It doesn't always make me want to know them better. LOL

Steve

desertlady

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Writing is a thing of the past ! Everything now days are done on computer, When My daughter was in school they taught her to write prints, not cursive, she cant read cursive ! Now my nieces and nephews are learning to write on computers, .. The worst thing about my phone, when I am write in the correct words, it auto corrected me a different word ! sometimes funny words ! people will write me back and say uh?? :idunno

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Over 10 years ago I gave my parents a cell phone. They keep it locked in glovebox of their car. They will only use it if car was to break down. It drives me crazy, when I need to talk to them and can't find them. What makes it worse is the phone has unlimited min so they can use it all the time but don't.