Just like Licking a Stamp

OldGuy43

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
desertlady said:
When My daughter was in school they taught her to write prints, not cursive, she cant read cursive !
There's a plus to that. Now us "old folks" have a "secret code" that young people can't read. Our version of the Mosquito ringtone. :gig

desertlady

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
OldGuy43 said:
desertlady said:
When My daughter was in school they taught her to write prints, not cursive, she cant read cursive !
There's a plus to that. Now us "old folks" have a "secret code" that young people can't read. Our version of the Mosquito ringtone. :gig
:thumbsup:gig

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
The young guy who "headed west" during the gold rush and his family tracked him down by using the Pony Express. Then, followed his activities thru Western Union telegraph. . . Soon, his useless brother showed up to live off the resources he cornered hauling freight to the army base. Oh, I'd love to write a book!

There are old post cards I have read that tell the most amazing things about life on the "frontier!" The guy who was fired from his job by the tyrannical hotel owner, now revered by the locals 100 years after his passing. One guy built a landmark. The other poor sap had the nerve to talk back to him when he was bellyaching about not making money that day.

I hope some of this communication stays around to add some color to the histories that are written. Those grand things can be so trite and nonsensical. Meanwhile, life went on for the common folks as they just tried to take care of themselves and communicate a little with friends & family.

Steve
do you suppose that things first began to get outta hand during smoke signal days and one of the local idgitS' set fire to the forest?

bj taylor

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
i'm one of those that doesn't use e-mail much anymore. I do use facebook. I like keeping in touch with family friends from far away & knowing how their life is going. I also use facebook a lot for keeping tabs on political issues. i'm a news hound and I find links to follow from my senators/congressmen/women and other organizations that I think have validity. i'm very verbal in my political views. I use facebook to post issues I believe are critical to our time because I know many don't have the time or inclination. I hope I can give them info they might not otherwise be aware of.

I like to share my garden world, my animal/livestock world and this all goes into my faith-based views of the world. therefore, facebook suits me fairly well. the HUGE caveat is facebook has started censoring pretty heavily. i'm looking for the next venue to communicate collectively with friends/family.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Heheh...enjoyed the video, OldGuy...my sentiments exactly....

I like having fb to keep up with political action items too, BJ. I'm thinking about deleting my account and opening a new one with an alias, just to keep those and posts from a few blogs I follow...and to get the extra entries on giveaways and such. I've found most people don't want to read anything political on fb though, so I don't share those anymore...at least in my age group anyway. I've seen too many arguments and weird things happen, then you feel like you have to avoid running into those people in the grocery store. :p

My DH has never had a fb. He says it is an unnatural form of communication. The way I figure, anyone who really wants to hear from me will find a way to do it otherwise. (That is crazy about your sis, Cane!) Also, I never understood why people I seldom spoke to in high school want to comment on my pics and stuff now. A little creepy and stalker-ish, IMO.

I tell you what email is good for though--much easier to deal with customer service folks over email. No waiting on hold! ;)

OldGuy43

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
journey11 said:
Heheh...enjoyed the video, OldGuy...my sentiments exactly....
Thank you. I've known younger people who brag, "I have 986 friends." Say what? I'm twice your age and have only about 7 people that I consider real, true, proven friends, but then I'm really selective about using that appellation.

journey11 said:
I tell you what email is good for though--much easier to deal with customer service folks over email. No waiting on hold! ;)
Perhaps not easier, but the real plus is that you can save a copy of exactly what was said/promised.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm one of those old fogies who doesn't have a FB account. I have considered it, but since I am a private person, the idea of my stuff being out there for the world to get at is not appealing. And the idea of "liking" someone to keep them from getting their feelings hurt is ludicrous.
I use e-mail more than talking on the phone, but had texting blocked from my cell phone because I end up paying for lots of garbage, due to not having texting included in my phone plan. We took out our land line a couple of years ago, since they were charging us about $35 per month for local calls only. That essentially closes any way a stranger might have for getting in touch with us. Or any true friend who lost my cell number.
I don't remember the last time someone just "dropped by" on a Sunday afternoon.
I don't like being this isolated, but it seems we have been forced into an "all or nothing" situation. :(

OldGuy43

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I also obj 2 d abbrs uzd wen txtN, particularly wen uzd n norml comms or spkg. OMG 4 "Oh my God" S d 1 dats realy overused.

Language is a poor enough method of communication at best. :rant

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I remember when my daughter was born I emailed him some pictures. He lives in Columbus OH and the other in Mississippi. Both are a long haul from Michigan. Not a peep out of him for almost 2 weeks. I got a little concerned and called him. He said he doesn't check his email he uses "Facebook".

I'm like "What's a Facebook?" So in order for him to communicate with me I created a Facebook account. Mind you my daughter is 5 now. I log in 1-2x a week when I'm at work just to help pass the time and keep an idea of what's going on. Most of the stuff on there is just nonsensical crap anyway. There are a few interesting things I see but 99% of it I could do without. But then I'm 35, and I still have a flip phone. I can text with it, it rings when someone calls, has a calendar, and an alarm. That's all I need it to do. No need for a smart phone here.

My wife doesn't have an account and she likes it that way. Her family is all close and we talk often so no need to log onto the computer to say what's going on.

I'd rather spend my time doing something rather than keeping up on Facebook. I mean really what you had for dinner? Or to watch some cat video you had to share? Or that stupid "checking in" at ______? Seriously? Those checking in posts always kill me. Its like big whup your at Walmart or your on your vacation. I honestly have more important things to worry about and work on than whatever nonsense your typically posting. Here's another secret. I already know what you look like. So stop taking pictures of yourself and posting them up. Unless you have a dramatic change like your hair, or weight loss, or your at somewhere really special like the Eiffel Tower I don't need an updated photo every couple of days. Really I'm good.

But then my coworkers think I live under a mushroom. Oh well I know what's important to me and that's what I'm focused on.