Just ordered my new canner

Kim_NC

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
hoodat said:
BetterHensandGardens said:
I have never pressure canned, and so attended a canning class last night put on by our extension agency. It was really well attended (over 100), and one of the women there recommended this brand of pressure canner over the rest.

She also said that one of the advantages of this canner was that it had a plate that could be used, so pint jars could be stacked and more jars canned at one time. :cool:
I used mine for the first time today. She was right about the stacking. I was able to do 16 pints of wax beans in just one cycle. Since there is only me to feed at present I'm doing most of my canning in pint jars. When I first tested it with only 3 inches of water and otherwise empty it had quite a steam leak but the instruction book said that might happen the first few times it is used and stops afer several uses. Today is the first time I've used it to actually can and there was not the slightest steam leak. I'm very happy with it. Now on to the maters. I'll probably can them in quarts since I use them often in my cooking.
Not to take away from the All American - that's a super canner. If one of mine would only die, I'd go for an AA. ;)

Anyway, I have a Presto 23 quart model. It came with an extra rack and allows you to stack 2 layers of pint jars. With it, I can do 18 pints at one time if desired.

RickF

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Sounds great! My wife has given me the go ahead to order the 10qt.. I'm not sure I can (at this time) replace the fairly new 22/23qt Presto we bought a few years back.. I mostly use it for canning jams (or steaming larger things such as multiple artichokes) so its in very good shape..

Smiles Jr.

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I'm sure the All-American is a wonderful pressure cooker but $200 is WAY beyond my means (as I turn green with envy :) ). I probably do not have that much money in all of my canning supplies combined. We shop for this kind of stuff at yard sales and auctions only. I usually put up about 60 qt. and 40 pt. jars each year and sometimes I'll do 20 jars of preserves and jellies.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I want you all to know that I am searching out craigslist and found a 17 qt that I'm thinking of snatching up. They're asking $65 (this is NEW with gauges) new it was $180. I'm going to offer her $50 as she clearly stated she has NO idea why her mom would buy her something that she didn't even know what it was! LOL

This is you guy's fault for getting me sucked into this canning obsession. :bun

RickF

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Smiles said:
I'm sure the All-American is a wonderful pressure cooker but $200 is WAY beyond my means (as I turn green with envy :) ). I probably do not have that much money in all of my canning supplies combined. We shop for this kind of stuff at yard sales and auctions only. I usually put up about 60 qt. and 40 pt. jars each year and sometimes I'll do 20 jars of preserves and jellies.
While a new one may be $200, consider looking in your local area on Craigslist or perhaps even E*bay for a 'gently' used (or perhaps you'll find a new one) for a fraction of the cost.. I had one locally being sold for $70 less than retail that had only been used a few times.

I just did a quickie search on Craigslist (via google) and there are currently 299 ads across the country for various All-American pressure cookers (some of these ads have been deleted or expired mind you as google does not distinguish) but that's still a lot of these floating around -- many may be older models,etc.. There are deals to be had if you're patient and don't mind looking around a bit..

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Go for it Vfem!!! I just paid for my jams so I hope that helps you out to buy it! :D

You know how I feel when someone beats me to my jams. So don't let anyone beat you to it! :lol:

Mary

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
RickF said:
Smiles said:
While a new one may be $200, consider looking in your local area on Craigslist or perhaps even E*bay for a 'gently' used (or perhaps you'll find a new one) for a fraction of the cost.. I had one locally being sold for $70 less than retail that had only been used a few times.

I just did a quickie search on Craigslist (via google) and there are currently 299 ads across the country for various All-American pressure cookers (some of these ads have been deleted or expired mind you as google does not distinguish) but that's still a lot of these floating around -- many may be older models,etc.. There are deals to be had if you're patient and don't mind looking around a bit..
A lot of people buy specialized items like this fully intending to use it but then their enthusiasm wanes and it just sits there taking up space.

RickF

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
hoodat said:
RickF said:
Smiles said:

A lot of people buy specialized items like this fully intending to use it but then their enthusiasm wanes and it just sits there taking up space.
I saw a few ads like that.. Or someone with two of them but only using one.. ;) The old adage applies -- their loss, your gain! :D

SweetMissDaisy

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I'm in the market for a pressure canner, but we have a glass top stove (which i can't stand, by the way) ... the AA is not recommended for glass tops. (GROAN!) Anyone else have a glass top -- and if you do, what pressure canner do you use?

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I only water bath (so far) but I have a glass top stove... I use a propane burner outside. It works great and keeps the kitchen a little cooler. Don't know much about pressure canners, but maybe this would work?

Latest posts