Just Sayin' Hi

GottaGo

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Thank you muchly for the warm welcome!

My micro-climate runs cooler in the summer, and warmer in the winter. Updraft from the lake we live on, so I'm told. I've also been told by a weather nut I'm friends with, that the winds we occasionally experience (like, moving the deck furniture from one side of the deck to the other!) are 'micro-bursts' that come off the lake.

I'm 'rebuilding' my flower gardens since they faded out as trees in the area grew and threw them into more shade, and the deer have found a buffet they enjoy. The raised bed veggie gardens are in the process of being relocated (picture attached) and enclosed with a 8x8 greenhouse (kit). Maybe by the time I hit retirement, lol. Beds1.jpgBeds2.jpg

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Welcome GottaGo from the SF bay area. I live in Alameda and we too have micro climates all over our little man made island. Fortunately they tend to be warmer ones which we need with our cool weather.

Why are your raised beds so high off the ground? I know you are relocating them but even that platform with those railroad ties seems very high to me. What is the purpose of it?

Mary

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Microclimates can be different in different parts of your property. I have 5 acres and several different microclimates. Wind and frost can burn most of my crops, but the last 3 frosts did not affect ANY of the flowers growing on the n and s of my front, east side of the house walkway, which I didn't cover, whereas the two beds north of the garage that didn't get covered, got singed. The east side doesn't get our nasty west winds, which is why I planted my Magnolia Jane there 7 years ago.

GottaGo

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Welcome GottaGo from the SF bay area. I live in Alameda and we too have micro climates all over our little man made island. Fortunately they tend to be warmer ones which we need with our cool weather.

Why are your raised beds so high off the ground? I know you are relocating them but even that platform with those railroad ties seems very high to me. What is the purpose of it?

Mary
Hi Mary,

I have family from the SF area, and I miss Scoma's restaurant dearly. We will have to go visit as our excuse to get another delicious meal at that restaurant!

Our yard is extremely sloped in areas. In order to have a flat surface to put the raised beds, we had to 'flatten' the area, and 'up' was the only option and still be able to protect it from our hoofed forest friends.

The reason for the beds being so high is mainly my back, I'm no spring chicken. That height makes it so much easier to harvest everything except tomatoes. While we did them in the back bed this year, it was quite the circus show to harvest, so next year, lower beds for the tomatoes!

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Hi Mary,

I have family from the SF area, and I miss Scoma's restaurant dearly. We will have to go visit as our excuse to get another delicious meal at that restaurant!

Our yard is extremely sloped in areas. In order to have a flat surface to put the raised beds, we had to 'flatten' the area, and 'up' was the only option and still be able to protect it from our hoofed forest friends.

The reason for the beds being so high is mainly my back, I'm no spring chicken. That height makes it so much easier to harvest everything except tomatoes. While we did them in the back bed this year, it was quite the circus show to harvest, so next year, lower beds for the tomatoes!
Thank you for adding the pictures of these raised bed's. :) I could really do with the exact same. What did you line the bottom with?

Latest posts