Just Sayin' Hi

GottaGo

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Thank you for adding the pictures of these raised bed's. :) I could really do with the exact same. What did you line the bottom with?
Good Morning!
We have red clay for 'soil' here, and it was used to fill the railroad ties level. On top of that, in the beds, is a 12" layer of gravel, then some 'top soil' (by loose definition) and then mushroom compost, my own compost, and manure mixed in.

The layer of gravel helps with drainage, keeps critters from burrowing in, or things like Bermuda grass from creeping in from the bottom.

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Good Morning!
We have red clay for 'soil' here, and it was used to fill the railroad ties level. On top of that, in the beds, is a 12" layer of gravel, then some 'top soil' (by loose definition) and then mushroom compost, my own compost, and manure mixed in.

The layer of gravel helps with drainage, keeps critters from burrowing in, or things like Bermuda grass from creeping in from the bottom.
Thanks very much for getting back and in such detail, I really appreciate this. :)

It's given me ideas on how get started now. I'd like to grow seasonal vegetables in mine, but i want to see if I can cover it in some way.

Latest posts