Just WHY are we "farming" ?

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
According to the USDA Economic Research Service... Farm Household Well- being... Median Farm Household income is expected to be largely unchanged in 2013 and 2014 . ... Most farm households earn all of their income from off farm sources .... Median farm income for 2012 = $ -- 1,453, 2013 = $ -- 1,988, 2014 expected to be $ -- 2,534. Median off farm income ... 2012 = $58,750 , 2013 = $60,458, expected for 2014 = $62,585. Median total household income.... 2012 = $68,298 , 2013 = $68,480, and expected for 2014 = $ 68,132. This research actually shows that the actual growers of buy local movement, the foodie movement, grow your own movement, the "organic " movement, the farmer's markets, etc. all are actually loosing money. So, when one considers all of the TRUE COSTS ( including cost/rent of land , buildings, equipment, power, water, raw materials, fertilizer, herbicides, pesticides, YOUR + FAMILY LABOR , education, accountant/ CPA/ tax preparer, taxes, insurance, marketing, etc) of production of one's garden and livestock we all are loosing money raising our own. So, be honest, do your math ( the big boys do ) and tell us how do you actually really and truly ( forget the "organic", eat better / healthier , better taste , etc. mantras ) stand financially in your venture ? :caf

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I don't garden from financial motivation.
I don't keep chickens because I like the high cost of their eggs.
I don't have my dogs because they are so useful.
I have a miniature horse... no economic advantage there for sure.

I do like my life. I love working in the dirt, and I love all sorts of animals and would have more, even though they could never renumerate me or even help me break even on the cost of their care.

It's a lifestyle choice for me, one that makes me content.
It will never make sense if I look at the bottom line.
So I don't.

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
Spot-on Thistle!

My little 'Fisher Price' garden is just enough to keep me busy but if we were depending on it to feed us through the year, we'd starve before Thanksgiving.
My dogs don't do anything 'useful' other than pee on every fence post and bark enough to keep the critters out of the yard. It had been decades since the horse had been 'useful' even for trail riding. Selling the chickens' eggs pretty much pays for their feed, but even if I never sold another egg I'd still keep them.
I do it because I enjoy it.
And maybe .... a small part is to gain knowledge and experience that I just might actually need one day.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Even when I bought plants to set out, I only spent about $30 in the spring and again in the fall. So, for $60 we had fresh veggies all year. I already had the hayburners on a losing streak,$$$$$ feed, hay, farrier-for all the enjoyment I got out of them was priceless. Horses are a hole in your pocket you dump money in. So I scooped their poop for the garden, figured on re-couping some of that feed bill. :lol: I opened the empty paper feed sacks and alid them over the beds, weighted down with bricks. I cut holes in the feed sacks and inserted the plants. Water and wait for food!

Money spent on horses=total loss dollar wise. But I like them and they aren't going anywhere.

Money spent on chickens=not even a break even dollar wise, but the fresh eggs are so good and we won't eat store bought any more. The old hens make delicious meals and broth. I give eggs to my kids, they are spoiled too and our grand daughter hauled off a dozen jars of chicken broth for her dining pleasure.

Back to the garden, now I buy seed, trade seed, give away seed and get seed given to me. It's more fun to have varieties that the big box stores don't have. For the dollar worth of what I raise versus buying it, growing vegetables saves us money. The chickens and horses pretty much supply fertilizer, leaves left at the curb neatly bagged are free, and I buy the occasional bag of bone meal.

I am not trying to make money, but I save money by raising our food. Plus it is much better quality, we know where it came from and what's in it.

I am not growing a garden to try to make a profit, so this probably not an answer to your questions.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
You sure cut to the chase, Bob.

Let me say a little about farmers' market growers. Few are doing it as a sole source of income. Many are living in the country and love to garden (not farm). They can load up some things and hit about a dozen Saturday markets each year.

That's about 90% of them. Ten percent really know what they are doing with their venue. They can sell (at retail) nearly all that they can get down there ... but they ain't working for much. I don't know what they are making per hour but it might compare with someone flipping hamburgers. Off-season work, besides doing it all, in-season - production, processing, transport, marketing.

Their lives are full-on commitment. It has to be that way and they stay with it mostly because they don't have time/energy to think of anything else.

Steve

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
It's all about your definition of farming.

To USDA, 1 acre and you can be classified as a farmer.

To me, if that is your sole source of income, you are a farmer. If hold city job and farm on the side, part time farmer. Me-not even in discussion, just a crazy gardener.......

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
Financially I stand well in my venture. It costs me $1.30 to make a dozen eggs, including the cost of feed/water/misc chicken supplies/the chick/the electricity and feed it guzzles until it lays eggs prorated over laying lifespan. I sell the eggs for $2-$3 and don't usually have leftovers. (I can give you these numbers because I tracked my receipts as I experiment with how to raise the best quality chickens without breaking the bank.)

As far as the garden, this is the first year I've had a successful one. In fact I wasn't quite prepared for how wildly successful it has become. I planted maybe $30 worth of seeds, and my lettuce alone has paid off the whole garden. I used to spend $3-$6 on lettuce for salads every week, and I haven't had to buy any for months. It's pretty satisfying. I also have enough carrots canned to last me all winter, as well as an 18 month supply of jelly. It's pretty cool. ^^

But this is just from a garden and some chickens. Yes I can make it so that its financially a good investment, but I can't live off it. It'll be a few years yet before I can call myself a true farmer.

the1honeycomb

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I love being able to go work in the dirt, I save seeds, trade seeds, and rarely need to buy veggies I supply my neighbors and mail lady with as much summer squash so they want and in exchange they let me know if someone has apples or peaches things I dont grow for canning. I make enough jelly for my whole family plus some for christmas gifts. Strawberry, grape, blueberry, apple, peach.
I raise chickens and trade th eggs for venison so I dont have to purchase beef. I trade jelly for ocean fish, and process my own chickens. I had to go on disability recently ans I amnot worried about feeding the 4 adults in the house. My dogs are great mousers and I feel blessed to know I can still take care of us ! I love playing in the dirt

Latest posts