Kale(s)

valley ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sierra Nevada mountains, and Nevada high desert
I bought Kale seeds last season but never got it into the ground, this season I'll try to. I'm looking forward to having a plot growing.

RE: bitter leaf plants. Our lettice became bitter last season as it grew hotter. When cooked the bitterness went away.

bills

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Huh!..Never eat cooked lettuce much, other than the rare time I'm looking for some green coloring in a Chinese soup that I whipped up. Have to keep that in mind, as my excess lettuce does get awfully bitter if I leave them to grow. My Hens like it regardless, and that's where much of it ends up..
Raw Kale I find rather bitter, as well. Ok when mixed in a salad, as long as it's not the predominant green.. I may have posted previously on just how wonderful kale is, when mashed up with potatoes. A dab of butter, a sprinkle of S&P, and I'm in heaven..

Mackay

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I had 13 kale plants last year and ended up selling much of it to the local grocery store.. 50 stems for $10 was my price, and I took in a bunch once a week, and he sold it all. Paid for a new raised bed!:celebrate

I also froze a lot of it too:
take 5 or 6 kale leaves and remove the spine leaving the leaf intact.
Stack them. No need to precook.
Roll them like a Chinese egg role.
Put two rolls into a quart freezer bag

Half a roll, diced up, makes for good omelet with sautéed onions and sometimes I put brown rice in too.

Mostly I use it in soups and stews.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Mackay, than you for the tip on freezing kale. I have always blanched it before freezing. This makes it so much easier.

Mary

jasonvivier

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
My wife makes a mean minestrone soup with kale and last years canned tomatoes - or this years fresh tomatoes depending on the time of year. It really fills out the dish. :D

Latest posts