Kansas? Anyone here?

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Naughty said:
Yes - I am the one and only Naughty lol

My poor green beans were so beautiful - but I think the grasshoppers got most of them...

So need a Kansas opinion - or zone 6 I guess - is it too late to try to plant another batch?

okay - the only place i can find "semaspore bait" which is supposed to get rid of thelil buggers - is 25 bucks for 1 pound...

i really dont think i need that much - plus hate to pay that price - anyone in the wichita area know a smaller or cheaper option? or want to go half and split it? lol
I bought some bait from Planet Natural, here's the site:

http://www.planetnatural.com/site/semaspore-grasshopper-bait.html

Naughty

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
i finally just decided to be brave and let some of my chickens into the garden - was worried because it is not fenced - but they did not even try to leave - too many hopping treats

so- now i am going to be brave and try some more plants - but i am starting the beans in my window in the house - hoping to give them a head start before the grass hoppers get access

think i will try some more corn too- it was soooooooo good - then these lil eating machines went after it

any other ideas to try for fall - i know that last year it was pretty late before we got a frost here - so hoping for a repeat

Huntet02

Sprout
Reaction score
Brand new here from Wichita area. First year of gardening ....Gardening bug bit me mid summer the worst time to want to plant things. Go Figure!! :p
Enjoying many new roses/flowers/trees planted ooohh probaby 25 new things in April and then before I knew it Gardening was all I thought about, startred plotting my next flower bed while should have been asleep.HA!!
Have a huge amount of plants/trees on the north side of house that I've bought on clearance waiting on cooler temps to be planted.

Live on 10 acres out in the country, have 3 weeping Willow trees(why do most arborist not liek this tree, say isn't a real tree that I need to make better trees choices-they are thrivnig in my wet clay soil):rolleyes:, 1 fusion crabapple, and a tiny cottonwood trying to come up.
Have no windblocks to speak of yet so south wind killed my roses this summer but have been eyeing some eastern red cedars(least I think they are) growing wild in horse pasture so plan to dig em up and start a windblock.

Look forward to corresponding with more kansas' gardeners......looking for much advice on planting in Compacted clay soil, I've already lost a birch tree to drowning so now I'm paranoid about watering.

bynaturefarms

Sprout
Reaction score
Huntet02 said:
Brand new here from Wichita area. First year of gardening ....Gardening bug bit me mid summer the worst time to want to plant things. Go Figure!! :p
Enjoying many new roses/flowers/trees planted ooohh probaby 25 new things in April and then before I knew it Gardening was all I thought about, startred plotting my next flower bed while should have been asleep.HA!!
Have a huge amount of plants/trees on the north side of house that I've bought on clearance waiting on cooler temps to be planted.

Live on 10 acres out in the country, have 3 weeping Willow trees(why do most arborist not liek this tree, say isn't a real tree that I need to make better trees choices-they are thrivnig in my wet clay soil):rolleyes:, 1 fusion crabapple, and a tiny cottonwood trying to come up.
Have no windblocks to speak of yet so south wind killed my roses this summer but have been eyeing some eastern red cedars(least I think they are) growing wild in horse pasture so plan to dig em up and start a windblock.

Look forward to corresponding with more kansas' gardeners......looking for much advice on planting in Compacted clay soil, I've already lost a birch tree to drowning so now I'm paranoid about watering.
let me be the first to say :welcome.

Naughty

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
so are kansas people asleep or just busy watering lol?

bynaturefarms

Sprout
Reaction score
I did not do much of a garden this year because I knew we would be moving. I just harvested what little I had.

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Howdy Kansas folks!

I've been there, way back in 1973 when I went to the FFA national convention in KC Missouri. The road went in and out of Kansas from the airport. Does that count? A boss I used to work for was from Salina Kansas where her family grew lots of Wheat. What I did notice was that the grasses there were a different shade of luxurious green, lighter. It definitely is true that some Kansas folks know what to do if a tornado is spotted, and are ready. When I spotted a rare tornado in Montana when I lived there, my boss Roxi knew exactly what to do. In the greenhouse was a steel ramp that goes down into it. That ramp is built into deep and thick concrete footings and foundation. We stayed near that for awhile. Luckily that tornado barely touched down on the other side of town and then dissipated.

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
deeszoo said:
I see lots from Missouri, but didn't see any topic starters from fellow Kansans. Where are you?

LOL!!

dee
I lived in Dickinson County from 1972 until 1995. My best friend lives there and what a time she had with the heat this year in her garden.

justhatchin

Sprout
Reaction score
Naughty said:
so are kansas people asleep or just busy watering lol?
Hi naughty! I just joined. Doesn't look like there is the following byc has here but still lots of good info.

Latest posts