Keep a Little Magic in Your Life

OldGuy43

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Two cups of coffee and it's philosophy time;

When I was about 14 or 15 I decided that I wanted to make my living in the electronics field. After high school I enlisted in the Navy and got into that field. After I got out I went to college and got a degree in Electrical Engineering. The sad lesson that I learned was that some of the magic had gone out of my life. Throwing a switch and getting light no longer held a fascination for me. No longer was it magic when I put a piece of bread in the toaster and it got hot and toasted my bread. No magic involved with radio or TV. Computers were not something to be held in awe, it was just the flow of electrons. The magic that I'd found as a child had been replaced by knowledge.

At least some things are still a wonder. A chicken lays an egg and I don't know how. It's magic. I put a seed in the ground and something grows (sometimes). A wonder. Put a motor on one end and wheels on the other with an automatic transmission in the middle and something magical happens. Even though I know where they come from a baby is always a miracle!

It's not what we know, but the magic in life that makes it all worthwhile.

Go out and find the wonder in your life. Have a magical day. :)

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
That egg . . . just depends on whether that bit of life hits the infundibulum or not, OG.

:hide

DW has a cold today and is drinking tea so I was able to finish the coffee in the pot . . . While doing so, I was sorta watching the Chaco Canyon special for the 3rd time on PBS. A lot was made about the conjectured solar & lunar alignments. Certainly they are worth exploring and that magic is still above us, everyday!

The moon will be full this week and it is up there for hours longer and hours earlier than at some other times during the year. Jupiter is up there with it. I usually don't get too excited about a planet million of miles away lining up with the moon thousand of miles away. I mean, if I step just a few feet to the right . . . . Okay, it does make a pretty sight ;). Venus, goddess of the early evening sky -- is just brilliant and should burn right thru any haze on your southwestern horizon :cool:!

The earth is at perihelion, TODAY! The closest it will come to the sun this year. Okay, don't try telling me that this is the reason for my warm weather or, . . . try telling that to the people on the east coast in their icebox :p.

Sailing around in space, circling Ol' Sol . . . Anyway, it's today! How's that for magic?

http://www.space.com/14142-earth-closest-approach-sun-perihelion.html

Steve

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
In my little world- I think I find the magic of gardening most appealing.... the process from seed to plate, just fills me with wonder! Nice post, thanks!

April Manier

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
You can never have enough magic!

I started out majoring in horticulture because I loved it. Part way through I decided that it was something I loved so much that I couldn't make it my "work". So I switched streams.

Now 20 years later I am becoming a farmer. I have my flowers everywhere and my main yard that is my special magic place for horticulture. I am discovering that farming is a great endeavor for me whose majick I am just discovering.

REmember everyone, you can always conjure up something is life has lost its luster!

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
i remember growing up gardening and thinking how magical it was seeing a stark looking backyard transform into a pretty and colorful place full of sweet and interesting smells and even tastes! later in high school i chose to take some classes in animal science which were OK at the time, but i found i've learned a lot more stuff that wasn't taught in those classes from the internet. things we didn't go over in class like my chickens i have been learning about the past 3 years since i've been keeping them! to me keeping my chickens has a lot more magic to me now than when i was learning about animals while in school! i never knew they had personalities (would never have thought of that even though i had caged birds as a child), i didn't know their tendencies for wanting to live in flocks or that they had similar lives to humans when it came to bullying and having occasional sympathy.

i went to college and got an Asc. degree in computers since those fascinated me at the time. but now that i work i've found that everyone around me has a degree in computers and i just didn't have the real world experience to get a job making the big bucks in the field! so that magic has fled the building! :lol: i drone away now doing billing and wish i could just be at home tending to my chickies and get my garden growing.

so, now i hold onto the magic of how plants grow and how my chickens fascinate me!

Latest posts