Keeping tomatoes before canning

barmoret1

Sprout
Reaction score
Good day! My tomato crop is really good this year...except they are green! Too hot for too many days. So I'm ripening them under a dark garbage bag. This is working though only a few a day turn red. Anyway, I want to keep them, somehow, while waiting for enough to be ripe to start making sauce and canning. Any suggestions? Thanks, terri

NurseNettie

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Well, I'm not sure I have any suggestions for keeping them, other than beginning to can what is ripe now, doing small batches as they ripen.

I am confused, however, why you're picking them now, rather than waiting for them to vine ripen. Your avatar doesn't indicate your location- but unless you're in Alaska/ northern Canada, etc- there's so much time left for vine ripening-- so why not let them ripen on the vine?

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yes, freeze them. There is another advantage. When you thaw frozen tomatoes, the skin slips right off. No peeling or blanching to skin them.

For my "perfect' tomatioes, the ones without anything I want to cut out of them like insect damage, I just rinse them and put them in a zip lock type bag. When i take them out, I thaw them, slip the slin off, then use them

For my not perfect tomatoes, the ones I want to core or cut out some bad spots, I just cut out the bad spots, core them, and freeze them. i don't worry about the skin because I am going to use these for sauce, so they will go through a strainer or food mill. That takes the skin out.

Latest posts