Keeping Weight Off

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I checked on the National Institutes for Health website - his recommendation was 3 to 4 times the MAXIMUM for that vitamin!! I'm not talking about the "daily value" - the maximum, which was already 3 or 4 times the DV!
On the vitamin D issue, our RDA is WAY WRONG. The average male uses 6000 IU/day. The average woman uses 4000 IU/day. If you are obese, or over 40, you actually need more. What is the RDA? 400 IU. If you are like many and work indoors, or if you use sunscreen, how are you supposed to get the D you need with 400 IU in your vitamin?

Well you can't.

It takes an infant months at 40,000 IU/day to start showing signs of D toxicity. It is looking more like 10,000 IU/day for adults is safe. Yet people freak out at anything over 400 IU.

There is a simple blood test that can check your levels. I have a friend who avoids the sun, uses sun screen, works in doors, etc... but takes a multi with 400 IU of D in it. Her vitamin D level was in the 20's. It should be between 55-85 ng/ml for most people. If you have a chronic illness, 85+ is better.

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
the only thing about using infants as an example is that they metabolize vits more rapidly that adults :) way more rapidly so comparing the toxicity of an infant to an adult for toxic results is not a good comparison actually

they are fresh new and like gerbils! they process vits out much faster than we do ..we are old jaded and do not so efficient... while kids and infants can have those high doses and not have a problem ..adults should only supplement as needed for what is needed because we can not metabolize things out like infants..just a little something something I need to say here

otherwise most folks do no harm by increasing their Vit D but it is good to get checked first just so you know how much to supplement

myself I have to because I am low but I would not blindly add vit's of any type with out making sure I needed them first

just a though

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Yikes on the IU ! LOL :ep

That is a lot for an adult male. So for me, I take 1200 IU of Vitamin D every day. My cheese intake is a bit high (culture thing), and my gardening causes me to be out in the sun keeping my Farmer's Tan in check.

So, with my diet, my sunshine, and my Vitamin D; do you guys suppose I am low still? I normally do not feel the SAD coming on until the Winter months when I find I am cooped up. I then sit for hours in the sun through the window.

Ron

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Just for our purposes (we'll leave the women and children out of the boat for a moment, Ron), if we need 6,000 IU of vitamin D per day:

Salmon is thought to be a good source of naturally occurring vitamin D. Smoked chinook salmon contains 583 IU per 3 ounces. USDA National Nutrient Database

Consuming 6,000 IU of vitamin D each day would require that I eat 1.9 pounds of smoked chinook salmon each and every day.

Most adult males only eat about 2 pounds of food each day, sometimes a little more. We should have room for a lemon wedge and a few sprigs of parsley.

Steve

6,000 / 583 = 10.3, 10.3 x 3 = 30.9 ounces, 30.9 / 16 = 1.9 pounds

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
"In 1999, Vieth indirectly asked the medical community to produce any evidence 10,000 units of vitamin D a day was toxic, saying "Throughout my preparation of this review, I was amazed at the lack of evidence supporting statements about the toxicity of moderate doses of vitamin D." He added: "If there is published evidence of toxicity in adults from an intake of 250 ug (10,000 IU) per day, and that is verified by the 25(OH)D concentration, I have yet to find it."

Like most medication, cholecalciferol is certainly toxic in excess, and, like Coumadin, is used as a rodent poison for this purpose. Animal data indicates signs of toxicity can occur with ingestion of 0.5 mg/kg (20,000 IU/kg ), while the oral LD50 (the dose it takes to kill half the animals) for cholecalciferol in dogs is about 88 mg/kg, or 3,520,000 IU/kg.

This would be equivalent to a 110-pound adult taking 176,000,000 IU or 440,000 of the 400 unit cholecalciferol capsules. Vieth reports human toxicity probably begins to occur after chronic daily consumption of approximately 40,000 IU/day (100 of the 400 IU capsules). Heavy sun exposure when combined with excessive supplement use is a theoretical risk for vitamin D toxicity, but if such a case has been reported, I am not aware of it. Physician ignorance about vitamin D toxicity is widespread. A case report of four patients appeared in the 1997 Annals of Internal Medicine, accompanied by an editorial warning about vitamin D toxicity.

However, careful examination of the patients reveals that both papers are a testimony to the fact that incompetence about vitamin D toxicity can reach the highest levels of academia.
See worst science for a full critique."

http://www.vitamindcouncil.org/vitaminDToxicity.shtml

Latest posts